Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intercooler install soon, Need some help

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  s.hiles 
#1 ·
Ok so i will soon be attempting an intercooler install on my OBS if the intercooler i have will work for my truck. The intercooler says McCord on the side and came out of i a 95(or around that) Grumman work van with a 4bt Cummins in it. Me and my dad pulled the motor and he is using it in his 64 Scout and we got anything else we might have needed.

I know yall are thinking, why dont you use the 6.0 intercooler? Well after doing some thread browsing on IC installs I realized the 6.0 intercooler will not work in my OBS :(. This is because of my bumper and winch, the 6.0 IC sits to low and my winch is in the way. This McCord intercooler is almost half the size but i think/hope it will work. Thinking about facing the inlets down and IC being above them, held it up the the truck to eye it seems alright.

My main question is are the inlet and outlet the correct size? or are they to small restricting the flow?

Intercooler Dimensions
Grid Height: 13"
Grid Width: 27"
Grid Depth: 2"
Total Height: 18"
Total Width: 33"
ID Inlet/Outlet: 2 1/8"
OD Inlet/Outlet: 2 1/2

As you can see the 6.0 IC wouldn't work

See less See more
#3 ·
way to think outside the box, im in the same debate, i have a 6.0 intercooler and a winch too, the debate is to intercool, or to keep the winch

#4 ·
Well I think I solved that with this intercooler, gunna pressure test it today with my coolant tester lol and see if it holds. Also what are the ID of the inlet of the 6.0 IC?

#5 ·
the 6.0 ic is roughly 3" od inlet, and 3 1/4 od outlet, good luck

#6 ·
So that IC I have only has 2.5" OD in and out. It will restrict my flow wont it?

#7 ·
better than nothing lol, but it wont cool as much as the 6.0 cooler does, but that is why you went with it after all isnt it?

#8 ·
I was think about using it cause its just sitting around not being used and would fit unlike the 6.0 IC, but I don't wanna use it if its gunna restrict my boost/power

#9 ·
any intercooler does exactly that, but the air runs over it and cools it off, thats the idea, im pretty sure you will be fine in the grand scheme, but what are your tuning plans, if something huge than it doesnt make sense to keep the winch,

#10 ·
I would still probably go with 3" tubes to the IC and reduce down at the IC to reduce backpressure. Cheers!

#11 ·
My plans are stage 1.5 or 2 rosewoods and t500, but that wasn't gunna be until after I installed the intercooler. Then eventually turbo and built tranny. That's would be it for awhile. I would still wanna keep the winch

#12 ·
Ok so then if I did decide to change ICs I would have the 3" already and not have to change, makes sense. Might be do a thread on it soon.

Where should I go for the piping and boots?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.