New Guy with a '96 PSD Centurion Bronco Project - Calling OBS Turbo Diesel Gurus... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy with a '96 PSD Centurion Bronco Project - Calling OBS Turbo Diesel Gurus...

Greetings...
Well, I've been reading up on this part of the forum for months now.
(read damn near every thread in the 94-98 Performance Parts section) I feel like I know some of you now... = ]'

I have a big project on my hands...
Here we go:

1994 Four Door Centurion Bronco - 351W, E4OD, 8.8, 2WD

Rip out all the guts and transplant from this:

1996 F350 PSD 7.3 Turbo, E4OD, BW4407 and 4.10 Axles.

Total Frankenstein Project, But Free To Do Whatever I Want During The Surgery...

I traded a '97 5.0 Mountaineer for the Centurion. I'm in love with everything about it except the wimpy 351W and 2WD.

Very comfortable with the wife and 4 kids, rear AC and heat, three rows of seats, power rear window in the tailgate and the fiberglass rear top is still removable.

The '96 PSD CCLB was traded for welding work.
This Powerstroke was originally a 2WD DRW Automatic.
It got hit in the front corner, bent up the TTB and banana'd the frame. totalled, no title. 300+K miles but runs very good, seems all stock....small fuel bowl leak. I found a low mileage E4OD/BW4407 Transfer Case Combo for a song. The truck had no wheels, a DRW 4.10 Sterling 10.25", and a mangled driver's side TTB. It came to me strapped down to a trailer on stacked railroad ties. I had to return the trailer, so I threw some axles underneath it along with radius arms and a trac bar from a '79 Bronco. Just whipped up some mounts to locate the Dana 44 front axle to the frame and bolted on the 9" to the rear 3" F350 Leafs. I had some 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 18" Aluminum rims laying around but they were 6 lug F150 pattern, so a friend lent me some 5 lug to 6 lug spacer/adapters. I drove the patient off the table without the PSOM speed sensor hooked up, but only for twenty feet to where it rests now.

My Goals:
Big Tires, Big Attitude, and Power to Back It Up....
-But Sensible Power, and on a Budget with Wise Mods that Keep It Alive.
I want to create an OBS Low Buck Bad Boy Version of an Excursion PSD.
(all the things you wouldn't do to that 15k Mall Crawler)

I'm not racing for pinks, so huge turbos, stage II's, water/meth and 5-7k doesn't exist.
Like I said.... sensible...maybe room to grow a little in the stage I arena. Towing; probably never over 4500-5000 lbs.
37" Tires , rumbly exhaust with a noticeable whistle now and then.
Not Afraid to get Dirty.

A PSD Rat Rod Four Wheel Drive SUV kinda look.

Frankenstein like Grave Digger kinda....somethin' like that....
A Mean, Tough, Intimidating Monster SUV that makes other SUV's
pee in their parking spots....

My Abilities:
Welder / Fabricator. (Have My Own Shop)
Hydraulic 180 Degree Tubing Bender up to 2" Dies, Plasma Cutter, torches,
access to friend's lathe, etc. Good Understanding of Wiring and Mechanical Things. Big Imagination....very creative.

Anyone want to influence the direction this Beast will take along with me as I go....?

I've been reading up on sensible mods from all you guys, but I am sure I've missed something along the way. First step will be the power plant swap, but While the tickers are out, some things like firewall massaging for a 3" DP, etc. can be done along with a good cleaning and paint. The first thing I will have to address is the driver's side motor mount for the diesel in the 351W's place. Some Grafting to do, but no big deal for me.

Originally, I was going to add some frame, cut the donor crew cab and make a 6 door Bronco,

BUT after driving a friend's 6 Door F650, I decided against it.
(it took up 1.5 parking spots and you had to sling shot around the sun to turn)

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this endeavor.
Thanks for letting me post here, btw.

Last edited by BrettMavriK; 02-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
it will be a cool project for sure! take lots of pics to document everything.....we like pics here
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 AM

sounds like a sweet project man. are you planning on making this truck an 8 lug or do you want to keep the 5 lug?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM

thats gonna be awesome, sounds like it will also be custom built exactly how you want it which means you are going to enjoy it forever
Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

IM ALL IN!!! im dont know much bout the engine swaps but a cool project, take lots of pics and im sure we can get you thru this undertaking...welcome to the ORG.

wait.... joined in MAY and only one post??? hahaha u did do a lot of reading
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like an awesome project. This the kind of rig I would like some day

Here's my $.02,

Slice the cab in the the A pillar and halfway back in the cab, so you end up with the larger floor hump and the correct firewall and rad support for the PSD, and mate it to the Centurion Cab.

Since you need axles anyways, go with 05 and up axles. If you intend on keeping this truck for a while, it is SO worth it. Not even so much for the ride, just the wider axles would look awesome with the Centurion body

Good Luck, cant wait to see progress!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up

Haha, Thanks guys!
And read a ton I did...
I'm a bigtime researcher. To me, it's like a Quest to find the path of least resistance, avoid everyone else's pitfalls by learning from them ahead of time,
and then doing it simply and cheaply, while trimming the fluff from the roster of modifications.

You guys here, although a roundabout way to find it, have given us new guys the template order of OBS Powerstroke Modifications.
Everything from Tymars & Wildman's , to Bean's & Swamps....
(and Rosewoods, too!) = ]'

It's more of a journey than a destination to me, and modding the Powerstroke gives instant gratification and makes it fun to keep on growing with the mods list
when one gets thirsty for more. And doing it DIY Style after the hunt for the best bargains and bangs for the buck is over, it is all thoroughly rewarding.

Yeah, this Project of mine will be fun. Free Reign to do what I want to it. Now that is cool! I want something that looks Beasty but very tasteful. Purpose Built But Right On The Edge Of Gnarly... = ]'
I'm going to bend up my very own concoction of 1-3/4" off road tube bumpers, brush guard, concealed winch mount, dual swing out tire carrier, jerry can and Hi-Lift jack mounts,
along with rolled tube arc nerf bar / steps. Heck, I was even thinking of Tube & Plate Fender flares to tie it all in like the crawlers do. This is what will give this truck its'
"you don't want to tangle with this thing" exterior attitude with the 37" tires.
40's are way cool, but are just a touch out of sensible highway drive-ability in my book.

First things first, I gotta shoehorn that oil burner in there and then get it to run. Everything from the full wiring harnesses to the instrument clusters, dual tanks, lines, etc.
And the fact that I'm yanking 2 motors, 3 trannys , four axles, 2 wiring harnesses, etc. I better make it worth my while as I'm in there heheheh!!!!

One thing I am unsure of are the axles.

This is a pretty beefy 9"...
4.11 Richmond gears, alloy shafts, Detroit Locker, Billet 1350 Yoke, etc...
Pro's - Pretty Strong and Very Lightweight.
Caveat - It's a Semi-floating Axle.
Definitely not a Towing Axle. BUT, and before there is huge debate, the purpose of this rig is not to haul a whole herd of hog all the way to ShakyTown... maybe on a rare occasion 4500-5000 lbs.,
but that's enough for concern. This 9" is up for the horsepower, but not the GVWR of a trailer on a long haul. There is a solution to this however, and that is to make the light weight and venerable 9" a Full Floater.
That's where an axle like the 10.25 Sterling truly gets is strength. There are a few companies that are doing this and the axles have proven to stand up to all types of abuse.
I've got a Sterling Axle to boot as well, but it is a DRW axle; about 6" wider than a SRW Axle. Maybe the offset might look alright with the 37's...
I am unsure of the weight savings to be had between the two axles, but every little bit adds up to power-to-weight ratio.
I truly haven't decided what to do as of yet on this subject...

I do like the idea of ruffling a few feathers and doing something unique if it will live....which brings me to the '79 Dana 44 HD I have on the front of the Roller that's holding my Diesel Motor right now....
That's a completely different subject.

Try to stay just outside the box with me if you can....

to be continued...

Last edited by BrettMavriK; 01-03-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwillson View Post
Looks like an awesome project. This the kind of rig I would like some day

Here's my $.02,

Slice the cab in the the A pillar and halfway back in the cab, so you end up with the larger floor hump and the correct firewall and rad support for the PSD, and mate it to the Centurion Cab.

Since you need axles anyways, go with 05 and up axles. If you intend on keeping this truck for a while, it is SO worth it. Not even so much for the ride, just the wider axles would look awesome with the Centurion body

Good Luck, cant wait to see progress!
Wo.... Floor Hump Is Larger?????????

I almost want to fly down to the shop in the dark and compare the '96 PSD to my Centurion right now.
My observations didn't catch this as the firewalls looked exactly the same. Keep in mind this is not a Bronco except for in the "hiney"...
It's actually an F150 Crew Cab Short Bed believe it or not. My title even says F150.

I knew I'd be swapping the core supports... but the Hump in the Floor ???
Really??? Why didn't I catch this? Both Trucks have an E4OD....hmmmmmmmmm....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM

I think the cabs are the same I swaped a 95 f150 on to my beat up 92 f250 with out a prob just unbolted the f250 center hump and bolted it in the f150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.