Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best E4OD Shift Kit?

42K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  leojr 
#1 ·
Ok so i have a stock E40D tranny. It is a Jasper that has been in the truck for less than 10k. Looking to get a shift kit for it and not sure what to get. Also will the shift kit harm the tranny at all?

I plan on either gettin a cooler or deep pan for it very soon too.

Kits ive found:
Jet Part 70704 - Jet Power Shift

Bully Dog Shift Enhancer #151000

#10 ·
X2 on the deep pan, i got an SD pan with drain plug and i highly recommend!!!! I go mine for free... :thumb:

So what's the diff in shifting between custom tunes like tw, a vb, and a shift kit?? I was under the impression that custom tunes would be plenty enough to make the autos shift good. So what's the dif between all 3 of those?
TW is a chip that in installed in your PCM, increases HP and reprograms shift points in the PCM...

The "Valve Body" is located in the trans and is what controls the pressures in the trans through valves. This pressure is measured by the shift solenoids which send these pressure "signals" to the PCM which shifts the trans based on these inputs. There are 2 VB's in the E4OD.

A "shift kit" modifies the VB by changing pressures and allowing for longer smoother shifting. This can be a DIY mod, but i would give a 4 out of 5 wrenches on the difficulty scale. Most shift kits require drilling several holes in the primary and secondary VB's. Most trans shops can install these for you.

#4 ·
The trans command will eat your transmission, Ive been there and done that.

I switched from that module to a module PLUS a generic shift kit. Then i pulled the shift kit and the trans command and put in a BTS valve body, couldnt of been happier. Smooth crisp shifts as long as i wasnt trying to put 500hp to the wheels.

And well....

Now ive got a full BTS and havent stopped smiling yet

#6 ·
so would the bully dog one be a good choice?

#7 ·
#9 ·
So what's the diff in shifting between custom tunes like tw, a vb, and a shift kit?? I was under the impression that custom tunes would be plenty enough to make the autos shift good. So what's the dif between all 3 of those?

#11 ·
I thought tw tunes would eliminate a lot of the crappy shifting and sloppy shifting issues?

#13 ·
So would an aftermarket vb or a hopped up vb be sufficient, or should there still be a shft kit for best performance

#14 ·
An updated VB is the same as a shift kit, the difference is you are unbolting your VB and reinstalling the updated version. A shift kit requires you to make the mods to the VB. The main issue is in the accumulator valve which is where your hard shifts are coming form.

TW tunes will improve your shift points allowing you to get the most HP and Torque to the rears. They do not fix the hard shifting issues that are internal to the trans. That can only be done with the proper updates to the trans itself.

#15 ·
And by hard shifts you mean terribly slow and they slip the tc a lot right? Isn't that where the heat is from, the trans slipping the tc for a softer ride?

#17 ·
Ohh i see i see. I always thought the trannies on these trucks were very soft to make them more comfortable

#18 ·
Negative, a stock trans with some miles on it will sometimes "slam" when shifting from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. An updated VB or a shift kit will allow you to hold the shifts, and makes the shifting crisper and smoother.

#19 ·
Thanks for the explanation and help kind sir :tu:

#21 · (Edited)
Does someone know the part number of the SD pan?

I got one from Ford 2 years ago ,its the only pan they have now.Listed then for 52 bucks , wholesale 36.00 .
These pans are the later version of the EOD4 the 4r100 , It was raw metal but I did clean,sand it abit and prime and paint it too .

#22 ·
Thanks Chop.

This is what ordered:
F81Z-7A194-BA pan
F6TZ-7A191-A gasket
FT-114 filter

We'll see if these were the correct part numbers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.