Stage 1's or Stage 2's? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stage 1's or Stage 2's?

I'm getting premium built injectors from Jim at RDS, but i cant decide if i want to get 1's or 2's.

So far my truck is stock except for whats in my sig. I'm going to call my brothers friend this week and order a exhaust and gauges.

This winter i'm planning on installing a 17* HPOP, might intercool it, and depending on how much money i really want to put in my truck, i might get a BTS. As for tunes, i might just run stock for quite a while because if i get a BTS i will be flat broke.

My goal is to hit 400hp at the wheels, which is why i want 2's. But i also still want a reliable DD that is smoke-free, cool, and efficent when i'm cruising. I've been talking to Matt@Gearhead and he thinks my truck will be smokey and hot until i either intercool it or get a bigger turbo(more money). But he said that when i was talking about running a mild tune all the time.

And today my brother talked to a friend who's friend has a 7.3 with stage 2's, and said that it always smokes. Now most likely he's running a chip, but my brothers freaking out that i'm going to wash the cylinders and blow my motor or get piss poor mileage. I think he's just worried that my 7.3 might actually be able to run with his 6.0 in a year or two.

So can 2's be ran without any problems on a stock-ish truck, and then when i'm ready to get tunes, be de-tuned enough to run like a set of stage 1's? And will the bigger nozzles kill my fuel economy? If its just going to run like crap with stock tuning and a stock turbo i'll go with 1's, but if it will still run fine stock with 2's then thats what i'll get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Id do stage 1s and get the good ones. Then send um in for 2s later on once you got turbo and trans settled
Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I get 14 -14.5 (mixed city, highway) with the 2nd truck in my sig. Hypermax Stg 2's, 6" lift, 35's, 4.10's and everything else included in my sig.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
II's and a stock turbo aint gonna last long. And its gonna be smokey
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Even on a really low or stock tune just cruising will it be smokey? What if i go with smaller nozzles, like 30 or 50%? And anybody gone from 1's to 2's and noticed a drop in mileage? 14-14.5 with a CC, lift, and 35's isn't really all that bad.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Even on a really low or stock tune just cruising will it be smokey? What if i go with smaller nozzles, like 30 or 50%? And anybody gone from 1's to 2's and noticed a drop in mileage? 14-14.5 with a CC, lift, and 35's isn't really all that bad.
My truck isn't too smokey unless I am in the very aggressive tunes. With Jody's "stock" tune I get hardly any smoke. The only times I am really smokey is off idle or when I am under the H2E. I would have to agree that the 2's a hot tune and stock turbo probably won't last too long, but the big OBS exhaust housing should help. Also, I wouldn't be afraid of going with 50% nozzles. I would recommend getting the inj's you want, get a mild tune to keep the stock turbo happy and intercool it.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM

mileage all depends on the right foot. if i drive it good milage is good . if not ol well you play you pay.
been running swamps 150's and a D-66 for over a year with swamps tunes very little smoke in less you lug it. plan on an inercooler or your egts will get right up there.
going to 238's next week
Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ninef250 View Post
My truck isn't too smokey unless I am in the very aggressive tunes. With Jody's "stock" tune I get hardly any smoke. The only times I am really smokey is off idle or when I am under the H2E. I would have to agree that the 2's a hot tune and stock turbo probably won't last too long, but the big OBS exhaust housing should help. Also, I wouldn't be afraid of going with 50% nozzles. I would recommend getting the inj's you want, get a mild tune to keep the stock turbo happy and intercool it.
Yeah, i'm wanting to go big now while i'm doing it, cause i know i'll get bored with 1's and then have to pay more for bigger nozzles. But i don't want to go to big and run into a bunch of issues. I'm not worried about a lot of smoke or heat, i just want it to be controllable.

Anybody have an idea of what kind of power 160/50% could make?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Yeah, i'm wanting to go big now while i'm doing it, cause i know i'll get bored with 1's and then have to pay more for bigger nozzles. But i don't want to go to big and run into a bunch of issues. I'm not worried about a lot of smoke or heat, i just want it to be controllable.

Anybody have an idea of what kind of power 160/50% could make?
I think you could make your 400rwhp with 160's. I believe 180's can do 450 or so.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Yeah, but wouldn't that be with something like 100% nozzles? I'm just curious to see what the max would be. If it was something like 375 i'd be pretty happy. It'd still have more power than 90% of the trucks around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.