Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

boost fooler for a 97 ps

27K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Claytonparrish92 
#1 ·
anybody know how to make your own boost fooler...im more of a do it your selfer...any ideas and pictures would be great if nessacery thanks guys

#16 ·
The boost fooler will not do anything on an OBS truck.
I beg to differ. Some trucks (Nicks for example) don't do anything when they overboost. Tylers on the other hand defuels.

#14 ·
I beg to differ with you Sir. I need to put one on mine as I DO set an over boost code at about 28 PSI.

Basically some do need them over certain boost pressures, but there is no gain unless you are setting check engine lights for over boost.

#11 ·
lmao thats funny right there

#17 ·
My understanding of need for boost fooler on an OBS engine is that if the map sees boost over 22 psi the signal it sends to the PCM is out of normal range and the PCM reverts to non dynamic engine fuel and timing tables (least that is how it was explained to me) or limp mode until such time pcm sees less than 22 psi boost. It seems some engines are affected and some are not. I know that on my 96 and 97 boost foolers made a difference....

jrc

#20 ·
Yes my truck is a 97 cali model, and that does make a difference. I have also been told that some trucks that are not cali trucks can defuel too.

I have also heard that 96 cali models can do it too.

I am sure that it was 28 psi, verified by my ae none the less.

#24 ·
Tylers is a non cali 97. We put a resistor in the ICP sensor temporarily and when it would start spoolin good, it would just drop on its face.

#26 ·
No i mean it like completely dropped off about 3 seconds after you would hammer it, wouldn't go over 35 mph unless you shut it off and started it back up again.

#29 ·
Look under the turbo for a black disc shaped object that is attached to the fuel pump... if you have it you have a Cali model. Another way is to pop the valve covers off and if the injectors are AB's its a Cali (unless they've been changed in the past of course). The 97 Cali models have a shunt on the GPR and slightly different wiring going to it as well.

#30 ·
Here's my experience on my 96 Federal (AA injectors stock). I put in new stage ones (AC's) not long after I got it due to bad injectors. Ran pretty good, made about 24 psi all stock except intake and downpipe, no cat. A few months later I ordered a DP tuner and installed. Out enjoying the new tunes, the first time I got on it really hard was blowing by a new (back then) 6.0. Just as we were blowing his doors off, the boost hit about 30 and it WAS LIKE YOU SHUT THE KEY OFF until it dropped to about 24, then re launced back up to 30 and shut down again. Did this about 5 times rapidly before I could let out of it! Didn't look too cool now! Of course I figured I blew it up or broke something. Drove back home easy, never did it again. Checked everything out, went out and drove normal, no problems till 30 psi or so, same result. Damn near snap your neck before you could let out. Put a regulator on it, NO MORE PROBLEM. So I would say some need it and some don't but no one has made a list yet. Mine is ALF4 code.

#31 ·
I have a 97 with Boost gauge T'd into Map line. Truck has a programmer, intake and exhaust. I see up to 30 psi of boost, maybe a little more with seemingly no de-fueling.

#32 ·
i get a engine light for an over boost code on my 94.5 but also making close to 40lbs. it seems to effect the engine performance some

#33 ·
just installed my boost gauge in the map line also, with intake filter chip on 80hp and exhaust i made 26lbs in 3rd but not engine light or de-fueling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.