Banks Stinger Plus and Suspension - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks Stinger Plus and Suspension

I'm about to dump a TON of money into my 97 7.3 Crew Cab Long bed. Unfortunately it can't all go to power as I want better ride quality. Anyone have feed back on the Banks Stinger Plus? Also I can't find a 4 link anywhere so any thoughts on best 3-4 inch lift for ride quality? Right now my budget is around 4-5k but I have some other minor repairs to be made too. Im already planning on about 1700 for the Banks kit and prob close to 3k for lift, wheels and tires. I'm good on guages to include trans temp, egt (pre and post turbo), boost and after market oil pressure but thinking about replacing for something more important. I really appreciate anyones feed back.
Thanks,
Zach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

3 to 4" lift? I'm planning on doing the RSK with Superduty Springs for a better ride which gives about 3" of lift. Cary at CTPerformance has the scoop on the conversion.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

What is the RSK? And do you know what everyone means when they talk about OSB?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fair questions.

OBS = Old Body Style 1994-97 Ford Trucks

RSK = Reverse Shackle Kit

Just punch RSK and/or "Reverse Shackle Kit" into google and/or the search engine on this forum and you'll see a gazillion threads on this.

I plan to purchase my RSK from CaryT, who I believe is a sponsor on this forum?

I got my Bilsteins from him: great price, crazy quick shipping, even answered several stupid questions on my part with patience. What could be better?

Cary email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: Home introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.

Also, after reading around here quite a bit... I believe you could get everything to do what the Banks Stinger Plus kit does for far less money by piecing your own kit together: BHAF, 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch exhaust, and so forth. I have a Cummins in my Ford, so I'm not as clear on modifications after that, but if you read around here there is TONS of sound advice.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I always figger someone is sitting on the sidelines too shy to ask what I'm asking about.

Last edited by cowboyjack; 08-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again

Yeah Carry already contacted me via email. Pretty impressed with someone who is that dedicated to helping people. So far it seems like there is a whole lot of holier than thou attitudes around this site!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look around before you purchase the Banks kit. You can be just as reliable and make more power for less money if you piece a kit together.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also found these helpful when I was first reading:

Jannetty Racing Enterprises - Power Packages

7.3L Power Stroke Power Recipes - Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

After awhile, the same general themes seem to emerge.... gauges, intake, exhaust, chip... and tranny. After that? Methanol/water injection? Turbo, injectors and then things get REALLY interesting... and expensive.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys f@#^(& rock!

I had already considdered dropping the lift kit for now and just doin reliability and power upgrades. We tend to go to the middle of no-where for hunting trips (like 400) miles from town. Maybe just a new tranny and torque converter plus power stuff would be a better option. That article from diesel performance was awesome! I'm not new to turning wrenches, just new to diesel performance. Any recomendations on brands of tranny? Think the Stallion for the torque converter.

I really appreciate the help guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We can set you up for suspension or HP mods..only whats needed and only what works.

IMO..first deside what you want the truck to be used for..HP goal, tolorance for problems..more HP = more problems and your budjet.

Trans..BTS..I am a dealer so I'm biased..
Stallion not without building your trans for it. Cheaper alt is the 6.0 Tq converter and a getting a BTS VB
Cary
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cary,

Thanks again you really do go out of your way! Rest assured when it comes time I'll be giving you a call. Wish I could actually just come to your shop, but that would be one hell of a trip from Alaska lol. I'm sure you have heard of the dreaded Atigun Pass from the (fake dramatic) Ice Road Truckers. On my last trip I about smoked my turbo getting up (1100 degrees)! Then on the way down we were loaded with 120 gallons of fuel 4 people and enough gear and food for over a weak and needless to say an engine break would have been a huge help. So I think for now I should go with reliability a j brake and some power.

FYI Anyone that believes half the crap on that show I hate to let you down but they REALLY REALLY REALLY over sell the drama of the Dalton! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.