New Guy To The Diesel World????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face New Guy To The Diesel World?????

I am about to be getting a 97 reg cab and want to do a few performance mods, what are the best mods for this 7.3?
I want exhaust-----my question here is duals or single, does duals play that much more in power? which brand?
Programmer----whats the best one to choose with multiple stages?
intake-------whats the best?
what else should I look into, I want great gas milage and then when needed to smoke someone with speed have the proper upgrades? I am all new to the diesel world so please help. I have just heard to many horror stories about people doing this and that then blowing something up because they didn't do something small that would have prevented what ever it was to blow up. Thank you greatly for your time, and I hope and await your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok prety much unless you are runnind twin turbos, the there is no TRUE duals so it would be a single into 2 split, and as far as programmers go Tony wildman or Bill at PHP are the best and make a DIY intake its cheaper and works better just use some exhaust tubing, and a napa 6637 filter.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderman2008 View Post
ok prety much unless you are runnind twin turbos, the there is no TRUE duals so it would be a single into 2 split, and as far as programmers go Tony wildman or Bill at PHP are the best and make a DIY intake its cheaper and works better just use some exhaust tubing, and a napa 6637 filter.
thanks so much i am pretty much convinced on those tuners..... from what i read i believe i'll end up with a wildman. what are your thoughts on exhaust systems though, who would you recomend? Also what would you say about injectors? should i look to invest in better ones then stock right now, being that I am adding a chip and stuff, or could that wait? Just want to be on the safe side. thank you so much.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM

GUAGES!!!!! get guages to moniter boost, egt, and tranny temp(if auto), then intake and exhaust (with 3in down pipe) to help it flow better, then do a chip, then you'll be ready to step up to stage one injectors, after that your tranny, if auto, may not like you too much, and you may also want to look into an intercooler if your going to be towing to keep your egt's down, if you want more power your going to have to upgrade your tranny/clutch, bigger injectors, turbo, fuel system, hpop, and dont forget to upgrade your bank account to afford it all
Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would go with tony wildman for your tune. but most importily get guages first. i would go with banks for the exhaust to get a nice throty sound
Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 AM

yes I cant believe I forgot gauges.... and as for injectors, you will have to upgrade your hpop and if you go too big you will have to upgrade your tranny and turbo...$$$$$$
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
all above is starters and a great way to start off! dont do a 10k mod.TW tunes tweaks the icp also,get gauges first and for most.boost,tranny,pyro.do the fpr shim,look fer the write up in the forums section.after gauges are installed get a chip(tony's or php) both are freakin out of this world(even with a stocker) see were your at with power when the chip gets in there.ohh yea,down pipe,cut your muffler and cat outta there and straighten them out.go to napa and do the 6637 filter(look for write up) throw the 15* hpop away,or core it.get you a 17* hpop,better yet go to diesel site and get the adreniline hpop.they cost the same as a 17* and will handle any thing you put in there.now your ready for stage 2 injectors,yes i said stage 2.when you get the 1's you will wish you would have went with the 2's.same price...get you a coolant filter from diesel site,after this get you a airdog or some other upgrade for your fuel.then turbo,tranny..by the time you get your injectors installed(diy) you will know what you want as far as the power goes.after i did my injectors,i went wild and emptied the ol'bank account
Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Thank ya'll so much in all this information, which is alot more then I expected to get I now feel more confident with the direction I will be going in with my soon to be new baby. My only 3 question I can really think of now is hpop whats that? Also is diamond exhaust a good brand to go with? Do they have a deep aggressive tone? Last thing, On the exhaust I want the down pipe, then straight pipe it all the way to the back, or do I want a muffler? What are the pro's and con's. I really appreciate all this guys, with all of ya'll this will be one happy Marine in 6 months with a lil less weight in the wallet.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hpop = high pressure oil pump
i have never heard of the diamond exhaust brand. the ones that i like the best r the mbrps and banks dyna flow because that is what i have on my truck and it sounds amazing. and for the down pipe that is something that you would want to invest in and i think muffler vs. straight pipe is personal preference
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM

I think he's talking about diamond eye exhaust. I have a diamond eye 3" downpipe to a 4" cat delete. Instead of continuing all the way to the back of the truck, I had a muffler shop weld 4" pipe from the cat delete back about 3 ft, then do a 45* angle exit in front of the right rear tire. It was cheaper than a complete exhaust kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.