94.5' icp sensor install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Casar n.c. A little town of about 600 people i think.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
94.5' icp sensor install

something you may consider here before you get to happy ordering parts. If you think your icp is bad or are getting codes that would point in that direction...please read all this post carefully.

1. You may not need an icp...many of these trucks will have a bad connector instead. After many miles and alot of heat, the connector and wires can break down. A new connector repair kit can be had for around $50 or less. I suggest starting with this first if you even slightly expect an issue.
2. A lot of fella's do the 10k mod (not that it is a bad thing) however, if you install the resistor between the connector and the sensor it will spread the terminals and cause a bad connection.
3. All icp's (7.3) are not created equal...94.5' through at least 95.5' (possibly 98.5) use a different thread than the newer units. After spending $140 and three hours of trying to make it work (including ruining the threads on a new icp) i found that you can not use the newer unit in an older psd. Make sure which icp you need before ordering...they look exactly the same in the pictures on ebay. Take it out and go to your ford dealer...thats the best way to be sure your getting the right one. There are two part numbers...F4TZ-9F838-A and F6TZ-9F838-A...the first is the older style.
4. if there is oil coming out of the connector port on the icp...your icp needs replacing. Even if you have no codes or issues, you need to replace the unit...the oil will soak into the plug and destroy it and the wires.
5. now...not to add more confusion but the old factory style icp will look different than the new replacement...even if it is the correct sensor. The main things to compare are the threads (they must be exactly the same) and the connector port.

THANKS and good luck with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hate ICP sensors, ordered one off ebay. For My brothers 99.5 PSD because his truck needed a new one, so i take the old one out, screw the new one in by hand just a little bit, then tried to tighten it down, would not tighten at all, pull it out, then the threads were all ****ed up. What a joke, tried saving money by buying one on ebay and it is going to end up costing us more money in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.