DIY exhaust brake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question DIY exhaust brake?

Ok guys so last few days i have been trying to set up my own exhaust brakes and finally got it and i was wanting everyones opinion if you think it will work or not.
To explain it a little bit about this schematic. It uses the IVS switch on the accelerator pedal to control it. the relay that hooks to the brake master cylinder disarms the cursie control to prevent accidental setting and the exhaust brake coming on which as soon as the toggle is turned off the crusie will work again. The ivs switch Controls the other relay and when the pedal is released, the wire that you tie into on the ivs has 0 volts allowing the relay to switch to the 87a pin and energizing the the EBPV which in return shuts this valve and working as a exhaust brake. so what do you think? (please excuse if the schematic is crappy i am only 17 never done one before)
Warning i have not tried this set up yet on a truck
Idea came to me after helping my uncle install a accel exhaust brake.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY exhaust brake?-exhaust-brake-sys.jpg  

Last edited by 72Ford250; 08-18-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM

any input please.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Power going to Pin 30 on the right hand relay will basically override having to apply power to Pin 85. 87a and 30 are connected when there is no power, Normally closed. 87 and 30 are NO until power is applied to 85 and you have ground at 86. You are on the right track though.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM

ok i think i see what your say but when the accelerator pedal is released (when you want the brake to come on) the wire that i splice into the IVS switch Has 0 volts at that point so that causes the relay to rest on pin 87a supply the EBPV power
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can ya not just use the way everybody else does there ebpv valve brake I did it on my old truck and loved it took me about a hour to do.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM

well it is nice when you come down a hill flip the switch on and when you got to give the truck more fuel you just push the pedal and it opens on its own let the pedal out and have the exhaust brake come on and the brake master cylinder is a protection so you don't accidentally set the cruise and jack stuff up i know it will take a little more time but i like doing things like this and it will work just as good as a store bought kit.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:32 AM

If that wire on the IVS has no power you can't use it on the pin 85 on the right hand relay...86 and 85 are the coil, one side needs power one needs ground....If the coil could get ground though the ivs switch you could have all time power on 86 and 85 to ivs switch...when there is voltage the coil would be off...without voltage the coil could get ground...provided that the switch is 12v, not 5

Last edited by rolsmojave3; 08-19-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Ok not trying to be a pain but when the accelerator is pressed the Ivs switch has 12v running through it on both wires when the pedal is released the one wire that i show to splice into has 0v which in return would have the 30 pin resting on 87a powering the EBPV but as soon as you press the pedal this allows 12v through that wire on the IVS swich charges the coil causing 30 pin to go to 87 which has no wire to it which allows the EBPV to open do you kinda see what i am saying?

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT AND HELP like i said never did this type stuff before to relays
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Ok..yes after looking at it again I follow...I'm at work and trying to look at it so I get interuppted...I do question how long those relays will last being engergized all the time though, if you get a couple of good ones it shouldn't be an issue. #30 on the left hand relay..where does it go?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM

The left one is a fail safe so if the toggle switch is on this disconnects the speed control sensor (cruise control) from being turned on and then letting go of the accel pedal and having the EBPV coming on jacking somthing up so all you have to do is cut the brown with orange strip wire and connect on end to 30 and other to 87a see on your speed control sensor when the brake is pressed it breaks the 12v power thourgh the black with green strip wire shutting the cursie off so with this as soon as the toggle is turned on the 30 pin flips over to 87 making the cursie think the brakes are applied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3l powerstroke, diy, diy exhaust, diy exhaust brake, powerstroke exhaust brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.