Heat Shield Wrap 3" down pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heat Shield Wrap 3" down pipe

The stock down pipe on my 97 F-350 is wrapped (heat shield) from the factory. Do you guys wrap your 3" down pipe?. The pipe runs right againest the firewall and probably best if insulated? Going to do the 3" turbo back cat delete 4" exhaust next week. What's the experience from those that have completed the 3" down pipe install.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM

My local exhaust shop has informed me that by wrapping your pipes in exhaust wrap you will be keeping moisture within the wrap. If you live in a winter climate where the ice and snow will be sitting on those pipes they will be rotting from the inside out and will crumble. I'm not sure about summer climate cities but I would assume they will stand up longer than where I live.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM

i heat wrapped my downpipe before i put it in. its in good shape. and i heard it really helps keep the exhaust gases hot and flowing fast. plus it looks SWEET!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcream View Post
My local exhaust shop has informed me that by wrapping your pipes in exhaust wrap you will be keeping moisture within the wrap. If you live in a winter climate where the ice and snow will be sitting on those pipes they will be rotting from the inside out and will crumble. I'm not sure about summer climate cities but I would assume they will stand up longer than where I live.
I live in Washington state where it's wet but the snow and ice won't be sitting on the pipes. Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro41 View Post
i heat wrapped my downpipe before i put it in. its in good shape. and i heard it really helps keep the exhaust gases hot and flowing fast. plus it looks SWEET!

Nitro41,
Where did you purchase the wrap, basically what's it called?
Wrap does look sweet.....
Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM

u gotta think...how does ice and water build up on a hot exhaust? they said the same thing about wraping the headers on my jeep and for a while i kept and eye on it and after driving in rain and snow they header was always dry from the heat.

and its called exhaust wrap u can get it at auto zone. i got the stuff for my jeep online. just type in DEI exhaust wrap.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM

exhaust wrap.

So i guess you idle the truck at all times, never turning it off. Snow will never blow in through the wheel wells and you will never go through any puddles. I must have been mistaken then. If your pipes are hot at all times then the heat will keep them dry. You are 100% correct. Just never get close to water.
Then again, how is it that exhaust pipes rust then, hmm. that's a strange phenomenon then, dry pipes rusting. Oh well I'm no scientist.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 PM

ive had the wrap on a rust prone jeep for 3 yrs now. i still feel no soft spots. im not saying that its 100% dry all the time but its not like the thing is gonna rust out on you in a month. few yrs...maybe

there was no reason to be a dick either
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Wrap

It is not my intention to be a dick but I live in a climate that it is not uncommon to have snow blown under your hood during blizzards, snow drifts over 3 feet tall overnight and spring flooding. The informatin that I provided was given to me from an award winning exhaust shop in my city after I inquired about the product myself. They know there stuff and I would not second guess them.The pro at the shop told me the wrap significantly reduces the life of headers. The wrap is intented for motorcycles and dragsters to reduce radiant heat when used in ideal weather conditions. Without road salt and excess moisture. The members that have commented don't seem to think there would ever be a situation where the pipes got wet therefore I was merely giving examples of how it may happen. My sense of humor sometimes gets the best of me at times.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM

i got it from napa. Thermo-Tec : Exhaust Insulating Header Wrap (Graphite Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.