too much black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
too much black smoke

i just bought a 96 crew cab 7.3 and installed BDP stage 1s TW chip. has a 3" turbo back exhaust and afe proguard 7 intake.

this truck smokes so much i cant stand it. i just bought the chip from tony and my setting.... heavy tow, tow, daily, street, extreme, smoke. the only setting that doesnt smoke really is daily. everything else dumps just as much smoke as the smoke setting itself. i live in california so i cant be running around smoking everyone out.

i thought my turbo might be taking a poop but i have no way of checking. it seems that my boost guage needle flutters really bad starting at 10psi on up and i can also feel the truck kinda flutter when the needle does. is that normal?

thanks for your help you guys rock,
chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
gauge flutter typically means you have a boost leak somewhere, Is there soot behind the turbo? (up pipes) and is there a charge side leak? (Y-pipe into manifolds)

The gauge should be smooth, what is your max boost? and coorelation egt's?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have noticed alittle bit of black right at the flange for the down pipe. on the daily setting it wont boost more than 18 psi and on extreme i have seen 26psi. the gauge shutters so much i cant be a 100% on that. the truck still has a ton of top end power but at lower RPMS it doesnt do so well. would a boost leak cause the truck to smoke as much as it does?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Yes, a leak can cause excessive smoke, a leak will prohibit the turbo from moving as much air as it needs to, so you have extra unburnt fuel, you should probably be seeing a little more boost, prolly near 30 with stage ones and custom tunes.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
also the hpop,if you have the 15* pump,it cant keep up with the demand.so go with adreniline and it will clear that chit right on up.if you cant wait jus go buy you a 17* from ferd,throw it in there and that will be a lil better.when you do get time send the pump off to joey and get er modded
Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Yep, that and fuel, if your going that far with an obs I would deff go ahead and do electric fuel!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
deff bigger fuel,you already got stage1 injectors,get the full potential out of em with big fuel/oil.have your tw chip retuned when you do this...if you do.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i wasnt planning on spending all that kind of money on this thing. i wanted power like a SD but nothing crazy where i had to upgrade HPOPS and turbos and electric fuel.

why would the truck not smoke on the daily tune but smoke like CRAZY on heavy tow or tow setting? doesnt make sense.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

you bought stage 1 injectors cuz,you might as well have bought beans reman fer 120$ those stage 1"s will never see the horsepower you desire without supporting mods,like big oil and big fuel.the only reason your getting the lil extra hp"s your seeing is because of tw's chip
Old 08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok drove the truck today on the smoke setting and it doesnt really smoke that much. extreme smokes huge amounts but not alot on smoke. daily seems to be the best one to run around on. anyone know whats up? tried to contact tony but no luck. called a couple times and emailed him with no respond.

today i pulled my computer to check my connections and i found an odd computer in my truck. the diesel shop that installed everything accidentally unplugged my chip with the key on and fried my computer. they ordered me a new one and the truck runs good idles fine but it says its out of a 95 PSD van. the computer code i had was a AUG6 and they put a TEE1 in it? what is going on here? is a van computer compatible with a manual 96 truck? i had tony tune it for the AUG6.

man i really wish some good chip companies were on the west coast. its so hard to wait sending chips back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.