Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

injector questions?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Nitro41 
#1 ·
Ok looking to pull the trigger on a set of injectors due to one of mine taking a dump on me.I want to go to stage1s but the rest of the truck is bone stock besides the cat delete.Do i have to run the gammet as far as the rest to go with them or can i get by with the stock config and stage1s?I NEED to replace and if i'm going to spend the $$ i want to upgrade,and have intentions on doing the rest of the mods as money permits,but with a dead injector,they need to be done first just to get it to run right again.the truck has 250,000 on the ticker BTW.

#2 ·
I think you'll be fine, you will need a tuner/chip to get full potential out of em. If your towing an intercoller might be in order for the added heat.
Mine ran great with crappy tunes and stage 1s, old HPOP and stock turbo. My clutch lasted 10 miles after the injectors though

#4 · (Edited)
It's a 94.5 and the whole truck is bone stock,except for the converter is gone 250,000 on the trans (zx5 newer clutch)orig turbo(it has been rebuilt at some time though).the truck ran,and still shifts fine.The dealer told me that there are no codes but the injectors.There is no cell.They also told me threre were faults in all the injectors,and two are completely dead(i only heard 6 buzz).haha So thats where i stand.

#5 ·
Ur gonna need a Pyro and a boost Gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Its hard to believe they all went down at once. Check the injector harness under the valve covers if there good (connections, burnt, open wires), Than start looking for a good Idm to swap in and test from a buddy. When i bought my truck the whole driver side bank was throwing codes and failing buzz and controbution tests, after a idm swap i was up and running!!

#8 ·
They didn't all go at the same time they just got worse very quickly.He said they all had faults,not that they all were fubared,he did say that #3&#8 were the culprits though.I checked the harnesses as soon as i got home from the dealer.When he did the buzz test #3 was there but very very faint and #8 was completely dead.I also borrowed a buddys Idm out of his 99sd(only friend with a psd) and it didn't run any better.I have been reading and learning as i go and have a pretty good working mech background.Gonna do some crawling around on it this weekend to see if theres anything obvious.

#9 ·
Good suggestions so far. I just bought my 1st obs with a few miles on it and you HAVE to assume your gonna have to work on it.
I almost would say put all new valve cover harnesses on it, see if it changes anything and then pull trigger on injectors/tunes. No sense going stock when stage 1s are same price, then if you got a manual be ready for clutch upgrade, then the HPOP, mech fuel pump, glow plugs, gpr, etc....
Do you have manual or auto, I dont understand this "except for the converter is gone 250,000 on the trans (zx5 newer clutch)"
So, your next $2500 is gone!! but man they run good at 1/4 price of newer truck

#10 ·
Ok did some minor Bs this weekend and fixed some of the problems.I took both harnesses out of the truck and found that #8 had loose connections at the injector,cleaned both harnesses up and it seems to run better,will wait and see if #8 came back to me(no scanner to test).Btw whats the best scanner to buy for this application(most complete not the easiest to use).I also found that the fitting that goes into the exhaust manifold for the ebp tube was completely plugged and the ebpv was held at 3/4s closed,25mins worth the screwing around and that works now.I also changed the oil in the top end hpop housing,and it actually seemed to help with the idle(seems smoother).

Yes it is the manual 5 speed(isn't that the zx5 model trans),and the clutch was replaced at some point.What i was trying to say was the only "mod" i believe to be done to the truck was the converter was deleted,other than that i believe it is bone stock with 250,000 on the clock. I fully expected to have to work on the thing just didn't know EVERYTHING PSD would cost so much.I do love my OBS and will own it till it falls apart(or ya can't get parts anymore).

Will still end up getting injectors,and am still curious as to what mods HAVE to be done first(before stage1s).

#12 ·
Can someone please tell me what the BB mod is?I keep reading about it but can't seem to find a explanation.
Sounds like it's time to start saving my pennies,and find other transportation means.

#13 ·
the bb mod goes on the fuel regulator.its a 3/4 inch brass nut.geta 3/4 inch open end wrench and unscrew it carefully as there is a spring behind the brass nut,there is also a lil metal peice in there.remember how it comes out.lay the brass nut aside,now all you should be left with is a spring and that lil metal peice.seperate the spring and the lil metal peice,drop a bb in the metal peice and put the spring on top the bb.reassemble,check fuel psi,if your runnin millions of psi,REMOVE the bb....enjoy:thumb:

#16 ·
i put stg 1 with no programming in my truck. it felt a little more ballsy under 2000 rpm and it runs great. im sure tunes will really wake er up tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.