injector questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector questions?

Ok looking to pull the trigger on a set of injectors due to one of mine taking a dump on me.I want to go to stage1s but the rest of the truck is bone stock besides the cat delete.Do i have to run the gammet as far as the rest to go with them or can i get by with the stock config and stage1s?I NEED to replace and if i'm going to spend the $$ i want to upgrade,and have intentions on doing the rest of the mods as money permits,but with a dead injector,they need to be done first just to get it to run right again.the truck has 250,000 on the ticker BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 03:37 PM

I think you'll be fine, you will need a tuner/chip to get full potential out of em. If your towing an intercoller might be in order for the added heat.
Mine ran great with crappy tunes and stage 1s, old HPOP and stock turbo. My clutch lasted 10 miles after the injectors though
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How many miles on trans..type, what year, what mods..you just can't get Inj's as it could take out other components very quickly
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 AM

It's a 94.5 and the whole truck is bone stock,except for the converter is gone 250,000 on the trans (zx5 newer clutch)orig turbo(it has been rebuilt at some time though).the truck ran,and still shifts fine.The dealer told me that there are no codes but the injectors.There is no cell.They also told me threre were faults in all the injectors,and two are completely dead(i only heard 6 buzz).haha So thats where i stand.

Last edited by jaywiz; 07-09-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Ur gonna need a Pyro and a boost Gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Have you checked the harness..might not be the Inj's
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Its hard to believe they all went down at once. Check the injector harness under the valve covers if there good (connections, burnt, open wires), Than start looking for a good Idm to swap in and test from a buddy. When i bought my truck the whole driver side bank was throwing codes and failing buzz and controbution tests, after a idm swap i was up and running!!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 PM

They didn't all go at the same time they just got worse very quickly.He said they all had faults,not that they all were fubared,he did say that #3&#8 were the culprits though.I checked the harnesses as soon as i got home from the dealer.When he did the buzz test #3 was there but very very faint and #8 was completely dead.I also borrowed a buddys Idm out of his 99sd(only friend with a psd) and it didn't run any better.I have been reading and learning as i go and have a pretty good working mech background.Gonna do some crawling around on it this weekend to see if theres anything obvious.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Good suggestions so far. I just bought my 1st obs with a few miles on it and you HAVE to assume your gonna have to work on it.
I almost would say put all new valve cover harnesses on it, see if it changes anything and then pull trigger on injectors/tunes. No sense going stock when stage 1s are same price, then if you got a manual be ready for clutch upgrade, then the HPOP, mech fuel pump, glow plugs, gpr, etc....
Do you have manual or auto, I dont understand this "except for the converter is gone 250,000 on the trans (zx5 newer clutch)"
So, your next $2500 is gone!! but man they run good at 1/4 price of newer truck
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Ok did some minor Bs this weekend and fixed some of the problems.I took both harnesses out of the truck and found that #8 had loose connections at the injector,cleaned both harnesses up and it seems to run better,will wait and see if #8 came back to me(no scanner to test).Btw whats the best scanner to buy for this application(most complete not the easiest to use).I also found that the fitting that goes into the exhaust manifold for the ebp tube was completely plugged and the ebpv was held at 3/4s closed,25mins worth the screwing around and that works now.I also changed the oil in the top end hpop housing,and it actually seemed to help with the idle(seems smoother).

Yes it is the manual 5 speed(isn't that the zx5 model trans),and the clutch was replaced at some point.What i was trying to say was the only "mod" i believe to be done to the truck was the converter was deleted,other than that i believe it is bone stock with 250,000 on the clock. I fully expected to have to work on the thing just didn't know EVERYTHING PSD would cost so much.I do love my OBS and will own it till it falls apart(or ya can't get parts anymore).

Will still end up getting injectors,and am still curious as to what mods HAVE to be done first(before stage1s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.