hypo trans help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hypo trans help

well seems like my trans has finally hit its downfall. it slips and bangs into every gear and reverse is getting sluggish i am going to need a rebuild in the very near future.... now thinkin ahead i am planning on putting out an eventual 400hp to the rear wheels so what would be my best bet transmission wise as a rebuild or replacement to handle this power? any help is much appreciated!!!
as of right now the truck only has a diy intake and a straight pipe exhaust but i am going to do alot of work to it when i get out to school to start making some big power. i just need the trans done asap before i make the 10 hour drive from new jersey to lima ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 08:03 AM

If you are going to Lima, that means UNOH, right? I would put a used one in it till you get to Auto Trans Class. Then rebuild your stock unit, in class, they will let you do this. Buy the upgraded parts, then swap it back in.

That school has come along way since I went there in '01. I make sure you buy a beater when you are there. That way the upgrades to the truck don't leave you with out transportation.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 PM

yup im going out for the hyperformance major and im also mixing in some diesel classes too. im drivin the ford out and it will be towing my 78 chevy k5 mudtruck. the mud truck iss street legal though so i will have transportation while the trans is being rebuilt and anything else i do to the truck. i am looking forward to being out there for 4 years what did you think of the school?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can't buy the parts for a Built trans..as BTS or JW builds..plus no warrenty..get a BTS or JW.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
You can't buy the parts for a Built trans.
Ummmm........ what?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM

You can find online, the parts to build a transmission for your truck. Get triple disc converter, good clutches, valve body upgrades, and hard part upgrades. Will it be as strong as a BTS, prolly not. Will it have a Warranty, Nope. Will you be able to say you did it yourself, Yep. In my book, that means a lot than a warranty.

As far as the school. When I was there, the High Po program was ok, but not as good as they made it out to be. Keep in mind, it was 01-02. I hear now, that they have improved a ton from when I was there. To the point, where I am thinking of going back for more schooling just to do it.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM

thanks for the info guys much appreciated. and i most likely will end up building it myself due to money constraints and it would be fun to say i built it myself
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonracing View Post
You can find online, the parts to build a transmission for your truck. Get triple disc converter, good clutches, valve body upgrades, and hard part upgrades. Will it be as strong as a BTS, prolly not.
Why not? If it's built with the same parts why wouldn't it be as strong.... or maybe even stronger... for a fraction of the cost? BTS builds a great tranny, without question; again there's no rocket science to automatics or making them live in near 1KHp duty cycles. Parts is parts. New parts doesn't mean good parts....... good parts come from many places. Shop around. Supprises may abound. Nuff said.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM

I am just commenting that BTS probably knows a couple tricks to make his stuff live a long time and handle the power, that we may not know about. i have heard its hard to beat a BTS, but I am a firm believer in "I did it" and patting yourself on the back.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Don't get me wrong PPL.... I'm not slamming in any way BTS for anything except the cost. I've build warranteed 1000HP trannys myself (with zero come-backs to date) so I can attest from personal experience and Ford education that it's not rocket science. Hypo parts are quite available. But any auto has a LOT of parts! If you don't feel comfy with the idea of a DIY HYPO auto trans...... buy a BTS. Personally I'll bank the extra change for a D60 FE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.