Help with mod info? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with mod info?

Hello everyone, I am one of the newbies with some slight mechanical inclination from previous toys, not claiming to e anything more. I would like some insight into the mods i want to do to my 97 PSD. I want to put a 3 to 4 to 5 straight pipe on it. I also want to put a 1.00 turbo housing stepping down from the 1.15. Lastly i wanted to put in a DP tuner flash and run the 80 hp econo setting. The reason I was looking into the 5" exhaust was to try to help some with lowering EGT, my concern is that it may cause turbo flutter or bark when i get out of the throttle, does anyone know if this will happen? Gauges will come with the mods and be in first. Any insight into possible future problems arising would be greatly appreciated. Other things that may help, I live at 5500 ft elevation, have lots of highway and mountain driving. Winters are occasionally in the negative integers. The only thing i tow is 6x12 enclosed trailer with dirt bikes and mountain bikes, i would say max weight on the high end is 6k. one other mod i was curious about was trying to fit a 6.0 intercooler or 7.3 one from salvage into my truck, as the 97 did not have one...?

Last edited by ccambern; 06-23-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

custom tuning,4in exhaust,intake,moded IDM,3disc TC and VB
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM

Not sure what is going on, no message displayed.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my truck striaght 4" doesnt bark or anything with you let out or it
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM

questions what does VB stand for that one is new to me. also can i run a wicked wheel or something similar with the smaller housing?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM

valve body.
and for the wicked wheel im not sure. iv read sumwhere that obs trucks come with whicked wheels. im not posative and im prob wrong on that
Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM

VB is valve body.

the biggest thing u need is a downpipe fromt he tubo. the stockers on these truck suk. air intake would also be a nice improvment.

u wont gain anything by going to a wicked wheel because u already hav the same thing in ur truck stock. the wicked wheel is for superduty 7.3's. ur turbo will not "bark" with the mods u hav listed. my turbo didnt even bark when i put stage I injectors in it. it may do it tho after u install a intercooler because there is mor air compressed inthe intake track so when u let off the throttle there is some compressed air in reserve and itll bak feed through the turbo..

dunno hwo cold it gets wher eu r but u might consider doing a EBPV mod. that involves removing th flap int he exhaust of the turbo. the flap will close to help the motor warm up when it gets cold out. many people delete them to improve turbo exhaust flow and spool.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info.

Thank you for the insight. I had also read that the wheel in our turbo was equivalent to the wicked wheel. I have another question for you, do you know if fuel economy would suffer from going down to the 1.0 housing, I have been told from friends and others that for the mountain driving here and steep grades that spooling earlier would be a great help for not having to mash the peddle. As for the exhaust valve, it gets down into the negative integers here in the winter, lots of times at night and sometimes during the day. Have any of you run the aeroturbine or exhaust velocity increasers out there?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

simple mods

these are the three basic upgrades: 6 postion custom flip chip,4" diamond eye exhaust w/ down pipe ,free flow intake . as money allows than you can beef up the trans , some injectors,moded idm and maybe a h2e turbo a 1.0 turbo housing will help you get off the line faster so towing would be very good . watch your egts though if this is a pure stock truck I would just keep it simple with the three basic mods.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
your wheel is stock and it is wicked dude,i think it was 99 and up that did not come with a good wheel such as ours,there for they would need to replace there stock with our stock...get it....got it....good. now your intake would deff be a improvement...alotta people go with the napa know how filter..part num 6637.its about 50 bucks.just read around on here and you can find all kinda cheap stuff to do that will get the hp's outta her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.