Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 Intercooler swap and 6.0 pipes

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tsgs69400 
#1 ·
Anyone that has installed 6.0 intercooler, did you use 6.0 intercooler pipes also? Or if anyone has, what all was invloved in making them work? Also anyone with picture's of a 6.0 intercooler swap would be great as im hopeing to have all parts to do swap by next week!

Thanks

#2 ·
The 6.0 pipes are way too short to even try it. I put a 6.0 intercooler in my truck along with a 6.0 trans cooler. It is a tight fit but its all in there.

I ordered 3" aluminum tubing from Vibrant Performance online. I used 5 of the 90 degree bends, and 1 18" straight piece. TIG welded everything together. But I also did not go buy a Early '99 spyder, I just cut mine apart and used different pieces of exhaust tubing to make everything fit.

The only problem I am having is that the 6.0 intercooler boots have a ridge on the inside that is supposed to "lock" into the factory pipes that have a groove in them. My pieces are completely flat, and are blowing off above 20psi. As soon as I get some sort of lip on them, all will be good. I should have started with the 6.0 intercooler pipes with the groove in them, and welded the rest of the system to those.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I did pretty much the same thing with the spider, and the pipes. If I wasn't such a cheap a$$, I would have bought the spider for an early 99. If it is in your budget, get it. It is much easier that way. Or if you have a few more dollars, buy the banks piping kit. Looks much nicer, and flows much better.

#5 ·
I cut the 6.0 pipes apart and used pieces along with some more I bought at the local swap meet. I made my own spyder and copied the banks design.

#6 ·
I might do that, use some of the 6.0 pipes like to put on the intercooler and build my own pipe going to the E99 spyder.

#7 ·
ya.it takes time but its worth it. I just picked up a set of 7.3 superduty pipes for $40 saturday. Check your local junkyards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.