Dana 60 swap questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dana 60 swap questions

Guys can i get some help,

More than likely swaping axles with a guy that has a dana 60 and a 4 inch lift

He wants stock height with leveling kit.

Will my brake lines fit with the 4 inch lift?

Will i be able to get the TTB bracket off and put it on his truck? I have heard that you sometimes have to cut them off. It is a 1995 f-250, but when he bought it had the dana 60 swaped in.

Also how do i check what year of axle it is?

What are some common things that need replaced on the axles? like ball joints and stuff.

What parts will work on both trucks, would like to swap as little as possible, my truck is in better shape than his, with less miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the thing with cutting the brackets. the bolts that ford put in there were tied to each other with a metal tab so as not to spin. well if that tab is intact you are most likely gonna be able to get them out. if not you cant get a wrench in there so you have to cut them
Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM

ok thanks, can you tell me everything that has to be done for the swap.

I think you have before, but the pm's fill up so quick i had to erase it.

I would like to knock out the swap in a days work, what will suck is having to do both trucks, but shouldn't be to bad.

Any information would be great!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

here is how i do it. jack the truck up decently high (enough to work easily under there but keep in mind that 60 has to make it up there towards the end) off with wheels and brakes (if they are compatible like i mentioned in OBS chat) then undo the u bolts and let that TTB swing down till it hits the ground. its easier to start on drivers side. then undo the pivot bolt for the respective side. repeat on the other side. then drag the TTB out. the brackets are a bit of a pain but once its all out of the way you see how they come out. you might have to torch the bolts like i said. this is the point of no return if you torch them so be ready. once they are out of the way put the truck bar bracket in place. then roll the 60 under there (if you are gonna swap springs do it now with no axle there) two floor jacks run the 60 up nicely to the leafs. then just get the u bolts started on both sides. once its suspended you can wiggle it into the leaf spring center pins one side at a time and tighten them up. put in the track bar and you are more or less done. I left out about steering and drive shaft and mostly the brakes considering you prolly know that stuff already
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks man, thats a big help. Just never really done anything like this, im sure i will figure it out as i go, doesnt look to hard. The biggest problem i will have is geting all the bolts loosened, would grade 8 bolts be good enough to replace stock bolts, say if i a few break or need to be torched.

And yes, we are swaping the the springs over,i am getting his 4 inch lift in the swap.

Can you reuse the leaf spring bolts, or do they need to be replaced. Wouldnt be easier just to leave the leaf springs on when we swap the axles over. Also, are the tie rods the the same, the ends where you grease, the ruber seals look pretty wore out.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

i would replace every bolt you can. that way you know. you live in a salt state so yeah its gonna be rough under there. It would be easier to leave the springs in there but hey while you got all that room under there why not. the tie rods are prolly the same. im almost certain they are. idk just check online at advance auto and compare part numbers but im pretty sure they are
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 PM

ok thanks, ya, my whole frame and axle has rubber coating, so that won't help.

Any patrs i should replace while i have the dana 60 out.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

check the ball joints mainly. axle seals if they leak but that means taking out the carrier and ring gear
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
repalce as many wearable parts as you can. i got a fully new steering setup, new balljoints, rebuilt the center section, new bearings, new seals. it wasnt cheap, but man, it drives nice, and i wont have to touch it for a LONG time.

a lot of guys say to not reuse u bolts. i have taken mine off to put my add a leafs on, then again to put the dana 60 in. they are still holding fine. just wanna retorque them to 120 ft lbs every now and then.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Ya, i reused them the first time when i did an add-a-leaf on my TTB

How much are ball joints for the dana 60?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.