Electric fuel info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric fuel info

Ok folks, i put all of this info on the obs chat for some guys i have been helping out, i figured it might serve a purpose over here. i also have flow schematics from IH for the 1st and 2nd get 7.3

Some people are using 6.0 pumps and i have info on that as well, the charts for that are taken form the CF international. It uses the same pump, just a V6

I have a several year old version of dieselsite's CPR setup, now too expensive to be practical, i've put together some one off systems for some other guys using mine as the template, especially for wiring

Hope this will give someone some use...

I reposted my original pics and edited them as well as added a few more, cheers

Ok see if this helps some...

This is key on power to the OPS, red wire spliced to red/green ignore the yellow wire, part of the alarm

Shot of the relay and inertia switch

This is the power feed to the relay

20 amp inline fuse for pump feed

This is the fuel lines coming and going to the engine

This is where the return and supply connect to the selector.

Garrett I hope this image wasnt copyrighted I noted the supply and return

This wire goes to the oil pressure switch from the starter solenoid.

This is how mine flows in and out of the regulator

Oil pressure switch and connectoins

This is a pretty crude schematic, but it works

If you have to inquire about the application of these, then I have bad news

---

Here is the schematic and info from the 94s through e99s to 03s

The diaphragm stage of the tandem lift pump draws fuel from the tank through a fuel strainer located on the fuel filter housing. Fuel is then delivered to the fuel filter under low pressure of less than 67 kPa (10 psi). Air that is trapped in the filter is vented back to the tank through an opening (or hole) in the regulator block mounted on the filter housing. This opening is protected from plugging by a wire mesh screen located inside the filter housing.

On some engines, the base of the filter housing contains an electric heating element that is used to warm fuel. Heating helps prevent the fuel from waxing during cold weather. Also located in the base of the housing is a sensor to detect the presence of water in the fuel (optional). When sufficient water has collected in the bottom of the filter, the sensor will illuminate a "water in fuel" lamp located on the instrument panel.

Fuel in the filter housing passes through the filter element to a standpipe in the center of the filter assembly. Clean fuel then passes to the inlet side of the piston stage located on the tandem pump.

The piston stage of the tandem pump raises fuel pressure to ensure proper filling of the fuel injectors. Fuel from this stage is delivered to one end of each cylinder head. These lines supply fuel to a gallery drilled in each cylinder head.

On engines with Serial Number 460194 and lower: Return fuel from the two galleries is routed through hoses of a special rubber compound from the front of each cylinder head to the pressure regulator valve on the side of the filter housing. These hoses provide flexibility in the fuel system by absorbing and smoothing pressure pulses from the piston stage of the pump .

On engines with Serial Number 460195 and up: These engines are equipped with the split shot fuel injectors. A fuel inlet check valve is used in each cylinder head. The inlet check valve dampens the pulses in the fuel rail in the cylinder head. There are no return lines from the galleries on this system .

The pressure regulator contains a spring loaded valve to control pressure in the fuel galleries. Return fuel flows through the regulator and is routed back to the fuel tank(s), however, no fuel is returned to the fuel tank(s) from the cylinder heads with split shot fuel system flow.

---

Info for the 6.0 fuel pump... from IH's VT275

The fuel pump in the HFCM draws fuel through a fuel line from the fuel tank. The HFCM heats, filters, and pressurizes the fuel. Conditioned fuel flows from the HFCM through the supply line to the secondary fuel filter assembly.

The secondary fuel filter assembly conditions fuel, maintains system pressure, and deaerates fuel. Fuel flows through each fuel line and a banjo bolt connecting the fuel line to the cylinder head. Fuel flows through drilled passages in each cylinder head to the fuel injectors. When the fuel injectors are activated, fuel flows into four inlets in each injector. Fuel does not return to the fuel supply system; this is a deadhead fuel system.

The fuel pump draws fuel from the fuel tank, past the fuel heater and through a 10 micron filter. A pressure regulator, controls fuel to the suction side of the fuel pump. The fuel heater is activated at 10 C (50 F) and shuts off at 27 C (80 F).

A 10 micron filter separates particles and a water separator eliminates water from the fuel drawn into the pump. If large amounts of water are separated, a Water In Fuel (WIF) sensor will send a signal to the Electronic Control Module (ECM) to illuminate the amber WATER IN FUEL lamp. Conditioned fuel is pumped to the secondary fuel filter assembly.

A DTRM recirculates fuel returned from the secondary fuel filter assembly back to the unfiltered side of the filter or back to the fuel tank. Depending on returning fuel temperature the DTRM diverts return fuel flow to the fuel tanks or back through the HFCM and back to the secondary fuel filter. Above 27 C (80 F) all fuel goes back to the fuel tank. Below 10 C (50 F) all fuel goes through the HFCM and back to the secondary fuel filter. Between 10 C (50 F) and 27 C (80 F) fuel will flow both directions through the HFCM to the secondary filter and back to the fuel tank.

OK--- thought i would share all of this, any questions... ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks man, this will help out a lot.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
excellent info!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Great info
Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 AM

had another guy ask this...

the 6.0 fuel pump is rated 26 gph @ 60 psi
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM

dang that isnt much at all. Im glad i went with a 7.3l pump
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM

I was wondering about the oil pressure sensor. Where does this go in at and is the port already there for it or does it have to be drilled first. Thank you great write up
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle95 View Post
I was wondering about the oil pressure sensor. Where does this go in at and is the port already there for it or does it have to be drilled first. Thank you great write up
Wow it's been over 3 years since I posted it and people are still reading, good thing I get email alerts...

The oil pressure switch screws into a port right above the oil filter. It's already there, just screw the plug out and screw the switch in

Also to update, everything is still going strong on mine. I have had to replace the oil pressure switch about a year and a half ago. It was acting up, not allowing the fuel pump to run. I also replaced the fuel separator housing the come in the diesel site kit with a standard filter base and am now running cat spin on filters. I can get them all day long at work. those $&%@ Dahl filters for the separator were next to impossible to locate.

I can get numbers if anyone needs them...
Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Ok glorious thanks man just outta curiosity what wire did you use as your control your relay?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM

I do not remember right off what circuits it controls, but its fuse 15 in the underhood fuse box. Its a 50a maxi fuse, there is a 20a fuse in the feed to the relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.