a few exhaust mod questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a few exhaust mod questions

planning on a doing a 3 inch DP on my 97. Will i need to get any extra heat shielding or special stuff for the install?

Does a 4 or 5 inch exhaust really help any more with mileage over a stock with muffler and gutted cat? If the downpipe is only 3 inches wouldn't anything bigger be just a resonator? I'm going for mileage only and don't want to spend money where it won't help anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not going to see much result in the mileage dept. from exhaust, gut cat, your choice with or without muff but will do better without the muff. definately put the 3" dp on, I wrapped mine with heat wrap
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 PM

I did a 3" down pipe, gutted the cat, kept muffler, DIY intake and TS chip. I see a nice increase in power and mileage, as long as I drive normal, the problem is, its hard to keep my foot out of it. Too much fun !!!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:16 AM

as far as gas miliage the best thing for the best price would be a diy intake and a 3"DP cat cut cut out and replaced with a straight pipe same with the muffler. all that would run you about 300$ tops..

for about 400 you can get a 4" system turbo back would be less worklouder and lower egt's

a chip will help with about 1-2mpg alone but they are 400-500

depnending on your tire size/if you pull a trailer a higher gear ratio could be your best bet but thats a big chunk of money.

as for wrapping up the DP the way i have learned it keeps the bay cooler and your pipe hotter. with the increase in airflow i would not worry about it heating up as much as your factory dp.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:09 AM

The 3" DP will help in ways that are difficult to describe. The difference is huge. Getting rid of, or gutting the cat will also make a huge difference. If you want to keep the stock exhaust, then just do the DP and get rid of the cat. An exhaust size over 3 1/2 or 4 inches just yields more sound. As far as I know, there's not been any proven benefit to an exhaust over 4". (just that most of us love the sound of our trucks, and we want everyone else to enjoy it with us )

After opening up the exhaust, the cheapest intake option is the DIY, which is very popular. It can be completed for "around" $50-$60, give or take some for geographic location. (and sales when applicable)

Beyond that, it starts costing good $$$$ to get these trucks/ motors to breathe better and make more power. I'm not interesting as much in the power, as I get far better fuel economy than pretty much everyone I've ever talked to, or heard of here.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.