Programmer help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Programmer help

Hey,
I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post so please bear with me. I just picked up a 96 F250 extended cab longbed with 150000 miles that is in really good shape and all stock. I've searched the forum and pretty much know everything I want to do for a few extra ponies. I do want to run a programmer, and from researching this site it seems to me the SCT would probably be my best bet because I can change to custom chips (am I wrong) but can't find one for the earlier model ps. Is there another option I could look for ? I pull a 30' horse trailer/camper to riding trips in the mountains of VA and the other guys that I travel with all have newer trucks (all stock) that I would like to halfway be able to hang with without being harassed too badly. Not looking to go overboard, but would like to make as much power as I can without spending more than about $2000. Any help for the new guy would be very much appreciated,
Thanks,
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dk if sct sells programmers for the obs truck. but i would go with edge evo for you or maybe a super chip
Old 05-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Seriously, if the truck is stock, get a 6637 filter from Napa for the DIY intake, Get a good 3" downpipe exhaust, get some gauges, then get a Custom chip from someone on here, like Tony Wildman, PHP, Beans. That should burn up about 1200 of your money, and make you pretty happy. If you want more, put in an intercooler, and a set of stage 1 injectors. Then get the chip reburned for the injectors and intercooler.

My mods have followed that exactly to a t. My next step is the intercooler, and injectors. I am very happy with my truck so far. I have a 40' Gooseneck race car trailer that I can put anything in and go down the road pretty easily for hauling 15k. The intercooler is coming soon, cause I am hitting 1200F exhaust gas temp on the hills, and don't want to burn anything up.

Last edited by brittonracing@yahoo.com; 05-06-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM

First off welcome to the org. And I agree with brittonracing. Exhaust, intake, quality gauges like isspro or autometer, and then a custom chip that you prefer. Just talk to each of the guys PHP, beans, TW and go with who you feel more comfortable with. The reason to go with custom chips over edge or super chips is the tunes are made for your truck. You give them the PCM code and you will get the tunes that work best on your truck. If yours is an auto it changes shift points and helps out a lot with towing. Just my $.02

Last edited by big sig; 05-07-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so with the chip, I send the stock pcm and don't need the programmer ? Whats the average downtime ? What kind of #s are we looking at hp wise with just these mods? Sorry for being a pita, I know everyone gets tired of answering the same old questions but I did several searches and still trying to make the best choices for my app. I already have the parts for the air filter mod and waiting on gauges before I shim the fpr. Next is exhaust. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
def go with a custom tune chip over any off the shelf programmer.. TW, PHP, Matt are all good chips... and i agree with the rest.. intake, exhaust, gauges then a chip.... if you need packaged deals i can set you up with any variation you want

-Raul
Old 05-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Here is a link to PHP.
Power Hungry Performance - Products (Vehicles)

I'm not sure about the downtime. You can see the powergains there. I think I'm going with the F.U. package after I sell my lift kit I just took off of my truck. You don't need the programmer. With the chip you will have a switch in the cab and you can shift on the fly. So say you are driving and want more power you can switch from a econ tune to a race tune. You see a douche and you switch to the smoke tune, and then switch back to the econ tune for the rest of your trip. A chip gives more opportunities and is safer than a generic tune.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM

As far as the downtime, I assume you are referring to the time it takes to install the chip in the PCM.

You will not send out your PCM.

I did mine in about 2 hours taking my time, the second time.

The first time I tried to short cut it, and did not remove and clean the PCM contacts.

Remove the PCM from the truck. Then with a BRASS BRUSH, lightly remove the coating from the board, and then lightly "shine" up the contacts. I did not use the supplied scotch brite pad, just the brass brush. It worked great that way.

You can pick your HP settings you want from any TUNER on here, just make sure you order it from a custom tuner. I have a TS performance chip in my truck, and I hate the way it shifts.

Hope this info helps in your decision.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys. Starting to make a little more sense now. So, I don't actually send the pcm, just the code from the sticker right ? Then how/where is the dial (knob, switch,4/6 pos thingermajigger )connected ?Does that stuff come included with the tunes ?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM

All you need to do is get your 4 digit PCM code, and order your chip from who would would prefer to, like Beans, Tony Wildman, PHP, or who ever. Let them know what you want to do with your truck, current upgrades, and possible future upgrades, so they can tune it accordingly. Give them that code, and what "TUNES" you would like on your chip. They will send you a programmed chip and switch to your door. You then install it in your PCM. The switch connects to the chip that they send you, and everything you need is included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.