Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3l turbo upgrade

27K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  superduty4x4 
#1 ·
ok i have a 95 f350 with 7.3l. i have 160cc injectors ts custome tuned chip s&b intake 17 degree hpop and mbrp straight pipe. my buddy said he would sell me his gt45 turbo and all up pipes and parts i needed for 900-1000 dollars now for some reason he said this between a gt40 and his model gt42 its a offbrand but im think about buying it what would i have to do to be in the high or mids 400s without touching my injectors

#6 ·
You need a fuel system, a good solid turbo (38r,h2e, qssb etc), hybrids (stage 3), solid transmission, good intake and exhaust just to hit high 400's.....

with stage 1's you wont ever hit 400. With stage 2's you can hit 450 with a real good turbo and good tuning, but depending on the turbo you are maxed out.

Your injectors are cool while they last, but stage 1's are a very very mild performance injector. They are almost just a better stock injector it seems like

#8 ·
My reference to a stage 1 being a mild upgrade and seeming not much better than stock is after you've driven it for a year with stage 1's. The fun begins to fade and its time for more. So why not do "more" to begin with and skip 1's

And who made 465+ with 2's? What turbo were they running?

I know beans did a decent amount with 2's but they were running a d66 so it wasnt close to 465

#10 ·
Many will be very happy with stage1's 300++ hp can get plus the MPG's. Stage 2's hell ya great but more $$ and require a turbo and trans if you want to live..an ya have to have 400++ HP.

I was off a couple hp sorry was going off my memorie. We will see higher #'s

Justin's

1997 F-250 Power Stroke - 200k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned

#13 ·
I didn't really see much said about the original question about an OBS turbo upgrade? Do all the available require changing up pipes and spyder pipe?

#21 · (Edited)
#16 ·
It is a modified stock turbo. Which was why I was trying to steer you away from it. I mean its solid and will do its job, I have a buddy running it and his truck pulls real hard with that and stage 2's. In fact the turbo cleans them up really well.

But it isnt going to handle 45psi or anything. Because its just a stalker. But yes that is your option without any modifications to the mounting hardware. If your willing to buy/make a mounting kit with the t-4 flange (i believe) you have lots of options.

QSSB
H2E
Etc

#18 ·
How would the D66 do with stage 1's, edge evo cs chip, exhuast and intake and hauling 10,000lb? EGt's still to high?

#19 ·
no not at all. A D66 is the ultimate turbo for stage 1's, it will clean them up and run pretty cool. I am not sure about the edge evo though, i strongly recomend you getting custom tunes.
A) your not getting much out of those injectors without tunes
B) Your tranny will love the switch

But either way a D66 works perfect with 1's and you wont have any troubles. Especially if you Intercool the truck

#20 ·
Well im wanting to Edge CS for the gagues and reading/clearing trouble codes, plus talked to a couple people with them and like them, plus im not looking for a race truck just better hualing power, so only going to use 1 or 2 level's.

So a D66 with stage 1's plus intercooler, exhuast/intake and programmer would be fine hauling some good weight? What does a D66 usually run price wise?

#23 ·
Whoa, hold on here! Lets take a look at this. Did you read the article?

The one thing that seems to be the weak link on the D66 if you run it too hard is the thrust bearing. Now I don't know for a fact but I believe Bean (actually River City Turbo) is still using the stock thrust bearing. If Comp Turbo has gone to th trouble to upgrade the thrust bearing why not consider this turbo? It flows more cfm than a H2E according to Bean. I don't by any means want to take away from Bean, he had the idea in the first place. If Comp Turbo just stole his work shame on them. But if they came up with and developed the upgraded thrust bearing more power to them. I'm going to call Bean and ask about the TB. I'm pretty happy to learn about this, cause I think the H2E is a step too far for me.

#27 ·
so did anyone get a price for the comp turbo? and does the d66 have yhe upgraded thrust bearing?

#32 ·
$850 turbo with $150 core. The D66 has the stock thrust bearing. The comp turbo on has 360° unit on it the stock one is only 270°

#30 ·
h2e most likely...d66 isnt FULLY proven with hybrids yet, although lots of guys have ran it with hybrids and good tuning and been just fine. Dont throw a d66 on it without letting beans tune it is my advise for right now....

D66 is getting tougher every day though, its quite the little turbo

#31 · (Edited)
The price I got back was $850 for the turbo and $150 for a core charge. But Strokeorcroak I agree with you about doing it right the first time, but have you every ran the comp turbo? Do you know someone who has? Cause to me it sounds like your knocking it just because its cheaper.

#36 ·
Oh i love the 38r!! We are talking about OBS trucks here though, the 38r is a SD turbo.

If you want to convert over to the SD pedistal its definitely a better option than the D66 or the Comp D turbo.

Its a ball bearing setup and it flows around 1000cfm

#35 · (Edited)
cause when you go to bigger injectors and start putting more fuel into the engine you need to increase the air to get the full power output of the extra fuel. The stock turbo is fine for stage 1's like Strokeorcroak said, but when you go with bigger sticks that turbo cant keep up. the D66 from beans and the TP38 from comp turbo are the only two direct bolt on performance turbos that I know of. The D66 cost $1500 and flows 1050CFM and i am not sure if Beans has done anything with the thrust bearing, the TP38 flow 900CFM and has a 360° lubrication system for the thrust bearing and is $850 with a $150 core charge. The stock turbo only has 270° lub.

Again like Strokeorcroak said the D66 is the only "proven" turbo but there was a time when the D66 wasnt proven, but it was the only option.

#39 ·
haha sell my a modded h2e right now then! If any modded H2e with mounting hardware was ever close to the price id buy it. The thing about the h2e is the mounting is so expensive id rather find an alternativel.

I can put a 38r in my truck (OBS) for about 1800 flat. $300 for the conversion (already bought all the conversion pieces) and that leaves $1500 for a turbo, which i know i can find one used for much less than that. So ill say $1800 to be safe.

I'll send you an $1800 check and you send me the modded h2e kit

#42 ·
I know you were bud! No worries, your just trying to sell product. I would do the same thing.

In fact i am a strong believer in the h2e/modded h2e. Its a wonderful little turbo.

But i cant justify the price of mounting for my own application. My goal is 500hp on #2. And i can get there with a much cheaper setup than the h2e!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.