INSTALLING 6 POS CHIP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
INSTALLING 6 POS CHIP

i just got a 6 pos chip with tw tunes on it and now i need to install it on the truck listed below?!?!? how long am i looking at on installation never done one before and i just read the instructions and it sounds like it is going to take some time and i dont want to tear into it and not be able to finish it after work one night and not have a truck to drive the next day. any input would be helpful. also do i really have to take the fenderwell off or can i do it from through the hood????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Clouse2411 Send a message via Yahoo to Clouse2411
The 1 TS chip I put on all I did was pulled the parking brake esembly off and plug it into the PCM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse2411 View Post
The 1 TS chip I put on all I did was pulled the parking brake esembly off and plug it into the PCM.
the instructions that dale at tymar sent me call for taking off the tire and pulling the trim peice and fenderwell out?!?!?! is that something i dont need to do? because if not that would be great it would be so much easier if i did not have to do that. i am installing saturday after i take my concealed handgun class in the am i have a buddy that owns a garage and i get to use his truck lift and everything so if there is an easier way to do it if you could tell me that would be great!!!! please let me know
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 AM

It takes a few hours.

If you have not ever taken the PCM out and cleaned the waxy white stuff that the dealer put on the PCM where the chip slides into then .......you are going to have to remove the PCM completely to properly clean it. I removed half of the screws holding the fender on to push it down a little to slide out the PCM.

I cleaned on my PCM for an hour - you have to go slow, take your time, you do not want to damage anything. I would wait until you have plenty of time to do it in the day light so you can see what you are doing.

I had mine out Sunday and back in and it took me 3 hours - I know that is a little long but I was in no hurry and was cleaning every little thing I could find. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

is there an instruction manual on how the clean the pcm because i have never taken one of those out? also do i need to put some kind of white putty on once i put the new chip in????
Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SILVER BULLET View Post
is there an instruction manual on how the clean the pcm because i have never taken one of those out? also do i need to put some kind of white putty on once i put the new chip in????
http://www.totaldieselperformance.co...stall94-97.pdf

This is just about the most info I have found on the PCM and chip install. As far as cleaning the PCM - just use some lacquer thinner and Q-tips to remove the white wax from the PCM. I got a little aggresive with the scotch brite pad and had some copper starting to show through but it was minimal and did not hurt anything. Most of the install is self explanatory.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Just as TxAG97 said, it takes some time to do it CORRECTLY. You do need to pull the fender liner a little bit to get the PCM out.

I had some 3M Adhesive Remover in my shop, and that seemed to work really well.I just put some on a rag, and wiped the contacts really carefully. Then I found somewhere on here that someone had used a BRASS BRUSH to SHINE up the contacts. That worked extremely well. The brush I used was just a cheapy from Harbor Freight that came with a steel and a plastic one as well

Watch when you take the PCM apart, that you DO NOT LOSE THE LITTLE BALL on the circuit board. I forgot and had to search for a while, cause it is really tiny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.