exhaust modification on a budget - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust modification on a budget

I was wanting to save as much money as possible modifying my exhaust system, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I have a '97 F-350 psd and was thinking about purchasing an aftermarket down pipe and cat delete pipe only, then having a shop install those parts on the remaining stock exhaust system. Would those parts fit on my stock exhaust system and would the labor costs be cheaper than installing a completely new aftermarket system? Or should I just spend the extra $ and buy a completely new turbo back system? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you figure two hours of labor is $60 an hr. thats $120. Plus you have to buy your down pipe so that's $100 right there. You're already up to $220 no problem without the cat delete pipe. I bought my Diamond Eye 4" turbo back with downpipe for $270.00 shipped. The downpipe is not fun, but can be done.I would go ahead and get a full exhaust and install it myself.
Here's a link to the exhaust I have. Submit you're best offer.
4" Cat-Back Exhaust Ford Powerstroke Diesel 7.3L 94-97 : eBay Motors (item 250597642416 end time Apr-14-10 11:35:21 PDT)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM

get a down pipe and gut the cat. just take the cat out and smash the inside out
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Really cheapest..gut the cat yourself and get a Tymar..great mod 2-3mpg on my '97 with nothing else and could actually accelerate in the hills!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:52 PM

i put a MBRP downpipe on with a 45* elbow bend that points sideways/down.

and i chopped the rest of the exhaust off compleltey. its cheap, easy, sounds good, and gives you the ability to bolt up a stack kit or custom side exit exahsut later
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM

I've been wanting a downpipe but haven't had the extra money for it yet, so I did what it sounds like you are doing. I had a complete exhaust laying around from an '02, so I found a perfect piece (slip/bolt on) to take out my cat and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. Now I'm thinking of just unbolting my muffler from the piece I just put in and just taking everything else off. Just to see... But anyway, I haven't got a dime in it, just about an hour of my time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.