Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CAT 3126 Injectors in 7.3??

91K views 142 replies 36 participants last post by  95dieselsmoke 
#1 ·
i used to work for cat and the injectors for the 3126 engine look to be the same as the ones in the 7.3. i know cat and international designed the heui injection system together. has anyone ever put the 3126 injectors in a 7.3? ive searched this online and i cant seem to find anything, just curious if they would fit.....

#3 ·
Ryan Ronning was talking about this. Search that name and see whathis thread says. I can't remember.

#4 ·
sounds like a good idea for a larger injector but I wonder if they can pulse as fast as the PSD. They are designed for low end torque and my not be able to handle much past 2500 RPMs. But hey if they would could be a cheap upgrade. Also is there any place that quotes flow rates on CAT injectors?

I have a project truck in the works and it would be cool to make it as low budget as possible.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
they should be able to sence both engines use the same injection system. as far as the flow rates, i might be able to get them out of a 3126 engine book. the only really ****** thing if they did work would be if they only came in sets of 6 (the 3126 is an I6) but then again you could prob buy them seperate. i thought i was crazy thinkin that they might fit but who knows, this might turn out to be a do able mod!

#7 ·
The nozzle spray pattern would most likely be different and not spray the fuel into the bowl...

#8 ·
why would you want to...cat stuff aint cheap and with the advent of guys like rosewood's DIY injectors, i dont see the point :confused:

http://www.diy-injectors.com/

#9 ·
this is what he said. It would not work, they are a little larger. Need some good mics or dail calipers to tell...There are other factors too, oil galleys in them, voltages, AC or DC current, and those injectors are built for torque, not HP. He is almost 75% sure they will not work. Plus they seal differntly in the head. Plus to get the injector oring set for 6 sticks is about $250. The shop he works at just did a set.....

Sorry to rain on the party, but there is my brothers thoughts.....

Hey Ryan, what is your thoughts on this?

#10 ·
The early CAT injectors are exactly the same externally as the PSD injectors adn will drop right in.
BUT there are differences with them just as there are with our Single Shot, Split Shot, and all the B code 466 and 530 variations, so it would take quite a bit of homework to figure out exactly which ones would be of any benefit.

In the end core CAT injectors are around $200 - $300 EACH, ours are $25 - $50.
It's simply not worth it unless you are GIVEN 8 of the exactly correct ones for free...

#12 ·
Well, ideas are exactly that, ideas. Ideas are ingenuity in the making. If nobody asked questions, how far would we have gotten with anything. I personally hadn't even thought of it, even though I knew CAT had a big role in the designing of the HEUI injectors.

mike

#13 ·
It would be b!tchin' to come up with a CAT/International hybrid! :funny:

#15 ·
I am still working on this. We found out a while back that as Jim said they will drop in to the heads and seat. The problem now lies in that we need to get them all sorted out in what works with what.

One possible idea in the works is to try to get the solenoid from the PSD to work on the Cat injectors. I will keep you all updated as this progresses.

I have been very interested in the idea ever since I saw a Cummins running John Deere injectors.

#16 ·
In 1993, CAT introduced "Hydraulically-actuated Electronic Unit Injection" (HEUI), where the injectors are no longer camshaft operated. First available on Navistar's 7.3 litres (445.5 cu in), V8 diesel engine. HEUI uses engine oil pressure to power high pressure fuel injection, where usual method of unit injector operation is the engine camshaft.

Unit injector fuel systems are being used on wide variety of vehicles and engines from various manufacturers, e.g. Volvo, Cummins, Detroit, CAT for commercial vehicles, and as well as for passenger vehicles e.g. Land Rover, Volkswagen Group (Volkswagen AG), among others.

#17 ·
I think you guys may be missing the big picture.
There's nothing special about the "CAT" HEUI injectors compared with the PSD or 466/530 stuff.
The only thing different is the CAT name etched on the solenoid, and for that they charge big bucks.
You can bolt on a PSD Solenoid and the injector will work fine.
You can take CAT solenoids and bolt them on your PSD injectors and say you have CAT injectors and it wouldn't be any different from the IH stuff one bit.

But have at it if it interests you. :)

#19 ·
it would be cooler to pop the valve cover and have CAT injectors in there :thumb:

#20 ·
Get a spare set of solenoids, sand off the part numbers, and have the CAT logo engraved into them if you want it that bad. Unless you have clear polycarbonate valve covers, nobody will see them anyway.

#22 ·
does anyone have a pic of these injectors?

#24 ·
They don't just look similar they are IDENTICAL - except for the name on the solenoid. They come in single and split shot varieties as well as "A" and "B" code variants (They are called something else - but its still the same). There is nothing new to research there - by all means if your curious go check them out - but all the parts are available to use from the traditional injector sources we use now.

Jason

#26 ·
wow calm down bud no need to get your panties in a bunch i just think it would be neat

#27 ·
someone just neeeds to see how much cc's they flow and from that you will no if they are useless or not..

#29 ·
dude why are you so angry all the time no need for it so calm down

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
yeah well your comming off as a **** just to let you know there is no need to come and start trouble

#33 ·
I have reserched this a long time but have yet to find reliable injector stats. These can be swapped right in to your truck and I have learned that there are more then a few people out there running these injectors as they just needed replacments and they were compatible.

I have also always known that the 3126 has a worse track record then the 6.0 has as far as engine problems. THese injectors will easily push 425 horse in Marine aplictions but the engine has a ver short life span. Out of all the Cat techs I have talked to all of them have said that the 3126 does not die of old age, they die from catastrophic engine failure.

If that is the case I am kinda worried about running these. But only time and testing will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.