Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Boost Fooler Regulator

6K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 ·
Home Cheapo and Blowes have both let me down on a 25-40PSI regulator, all they had was 100PSI to 200PSI Regulator.

Where have you guys bought yours from?

#3 ·
Couldn't I just go to a store and buy one?

#5 ·
I know they exist, I just check ITP and he doesn't have one... only one for a wastegate and a "t" fitting.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Oh, well then take that, hook pressure up to to the hot side, and a gauge to the discharge side then rotate the knob until the gauge shows 20....

I had to do this, because when this came in my dad decided to open it and start twisting the knob. lol

#9 ·
:hehe::hehe::hehe: It also says at the bottom that its not recommended for the 94-97 7.3L unless its 100% for sure its overboosting... but if I can just find the regulator I can make my own for A LOT cheaper.

PS: Yeah it does overboost cause I scanned it:hehe:

#11 ·
Oh yeah, it throws one now with 90CC's if I "mess" with it :evillol:

#12 ·
#18 ·
A lot of OBS trucks won't throw and overboost code, but Mine was like the last 20 or so made in the OBS model, and they threw a CEL with overboost.
yeh my 96 was around 30-32psi a few times and never threw one. I thought OBS trucks didnt do that.
See above
I bought my regulator from home depot, it was wicked hard to find,buried on the bottom shelf, and of course the depot's employees were no help as usual.
I will check with them again tomorrow.

#15 ·
i throw my code in 2nd. did u buy ur truck with all the stuff on it? a previous ovner might have put a regulator, cause if they didnt it would go off no matter what unless ur check engine light doesnt work

#17 ·
I bought my regulator from home depot, it was wicked hard to find,buried on the bottom shelf, and of course the depot's employees were no help as usual.

#19 ·
Well Tyler, once again all you had ta do was ask me. :poke Mine is a 120 psi regulator, but i have it set right, its not that hard to do. I even made a fancy bracket for mine.

#20 ·
How can a 120PSI regulator be accurate at 20PSI?

#21 ·
I would prefer the diode to fool the boost personally. Not to mention it looks clean too. I dont need anything else under the hood. I have to keep space for that extra turbo.

I will have a boost fooler for sale if you want it. PM me for pricing.

#22 ·
If its not the diode im interested, and sell it to me cheaper or for what it would cost me to make it myself

#27 ·
SD you can go both ways, but with the diode, it WILL jump past 4.7V for a second and still defuel.

#32 ·
So your still over boosting by 7 pounds...:doh:

#31 ·
Well it would be the same pressure on the turbo bearings because the stock turbo has a 2:1 ratio so 35psi = 70psi of drive pressure. The van turbo with the ceramic coating is about a 1.5:1 so 50psi = 75psi of drive pressure. So basically the same.

#36 ·
50PSI of drive pressure is only 25PSI of boost
And besides drive pressure, think how many rpm that turbo is spinning. It aint designed for that much speed.
30PSI is over 100,000RPM

#34 ·
And besides drive pressure, think how many rpm that turbo is spinning. It aint designed for that much speed.

#37 ·
o well they can be rebuilt easily and a few people have pushed these past 50psi on PSN. its the drive pressure that makes all the difference. The RPMs do make a difference but the drive pressure is worse because of the lateral pressure being applied to the shaft.

#39 ·
Oh this I gotta hear, even drunk I gotta hear.... Lateral force ain't gonna matter much at over 100,000RPM... its the unbalanceness of the turbo thats gonna matter at 50PSI.... your WAY outta the map on that turbo, so your killing horspower, and super heating the air being pushed into the motor... so the shaking of the shaft from not being 1000000000% balanced is gonna make it explode.

#40 ·
well it was balanced and it works fine. I am not BSing about this either. Yeh it is retarded for a stock turbo and it is not efficient but I normally dont run it hard at all. I hardly ever see over 28-30 PSI on my eco tune any way.

#41 ·
If its stock, its NOT balanced very good... it is balanced to about 28PSI... after that noooo your screwed.... have fun.

#43 ·
The housing done matter, I have a 1.15 housing and I can't push 50PSI... its all about the oil cooling system in it, and if its NOT a ball bearing turbo you absolutley CAN NOT run 50PSI thru it.

#45 ·
Once a week is enogh to ruin it within 12 months

#46 ·
Definately I know that I have done it twice and when people wanna screw around with me or try and race me I just put it in my tow tune it is hot enough for me. I dont wanna argue about it I know it is horribly unsafe and I check it every now and then to make sure its ok.

#47 ·
I'm done talking abot this, back on topic... or vacations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.