Planned upgrades, right, wrong or dont? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Planned upgrades, right, wrong or dont?

My plans so far, let me know if i need a slap, and the corrections i need to make.....
I need new injectors so....I am going to put in either baby swamps or stage 1's from RDS. My turbo also needs to be replaced and i found one with a good warranty with a .84 quick spool housing...or the same place offers a 1.00 quick spool with a banks compressor wheel for the same cost as the .84(wondering which one to go with?) I currently have a superchip on it set on economy or the 1st setting whatever it is called and I can sell my superchip to my buddy so i was going to get a PHP tuned 6 pos chip from RDS. Keep in mind I have only $2000 to throw at it and can do all of these things under that. I am also going to get my IDM modded by swamps in a few weeks when i got the money for that. later on this spring I am planning on putting in an intercooler to keep up with the injectors and turbo(putting in necessary gauges also).

So if I need a kick in the right direction give me please and thanks for any input on the subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Full A-Team Member

Ok what kind of result would i get with this setup instead....
Stage 1's from TDP
D66 Turbo from BDP

and just leave it at that and run my superchip on the econ or 40 hp setting till i round up the dough for the IC and 6 pos chip
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Personaly you should prepare your truck for the d66 and stage ones but I wouldn't use the .84 I would use a 1.00 or a 1.15

start off by doing Adrenaline HPOP or a modded 17*
and Electric Fuel system then go on and do injectors 6 postion chip from any of our vendors and a D66
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Full A-Team Member

yeah i understand what your saying, heres my deal. My injectors are bad...so is my turbo. I have right in the neighborhood of 2 grand to throw at it.

So thats where i run into the problem of what exactly to get...
Stock injectors, fast spool turbo, modded IDM and 6 pos chip.....or

Stage 1's, stock turbo, modded IDM and 6 pos chip (this one is slightly cheaper than the 1st)

Stock everything, mod the IDM and keep my Superchip
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM

I would probably do stg1s and a d66 for now. Save till you have money for some tranny parts.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Full A-Team Member

I think i might go this route...hard to do when you really want it to be bad a$$ lol

Stock rebuilt injectors, 1.00 quick spool turbo(hate the turbo lag i have with my stock turbo) and mod the IDM

If i put in an intercooler with this setup will it kill it performance wise because of the volume or will it be ok with the quick spool of the turbo. I would hate to go thru all the work of putting it in and then wind up loosing power cuz my setup aint big enuff to have the IC
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM

you won't loose power by adding an intercooler.

I would do:
DIY injectors if your injectors still work and are just week
D66
guages

Then when you have extra cash get the chip and intercooler
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Okay if your going with injectors you NEED custom tunes!

and your tranny wont hold it very well, let me tell you from experience. A TC and a Valve body would help out a TON.

Personally i think you need to replace the parts that are broken, forget the IDM for now and find a way to get custom tunes in order to save you tranny somewhat (it will help shift better)... then eventually once you have money get the valve body and TC.

Modded IDM is a $250 upgrade that isn't very important for your build right now with limited money
Old 01-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Full A-Team Member

Well i cant prove it, but i doubt my tranny is stock so Im not worried about that too much, the modded IDM is 100 from beans or swamps. I really am considering just going with stock sticks a quick spool rebuilt turbo and a custom chip to top it off, i love the econ setting on the superchip but the other higher 2 settings suck. I really just want the thing to run great again, it runs fairly well now, but i dont want to push it over the edge and cook my tranny. I read the new diesel power mag last night with the chip showdown article in it and with the turbo, sticks and custom chip it would put out between 300 and 325 hp and at the highest nearly 700 ft lbs of torque.

So I am going to go this route most likely...

Stage 1 budget build from RDS
Stock turbo
and a chip(sooner or later) that is more mild than wild

while the truck is down waiting for the sticks, i will send the IDM to be modded.
If the plan works, all parts will come back around the same time and put it all together and the truck will run better than it ever has!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM

with inj there is no lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.