New Guy's Fantasy Build! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy's Fantasy Build!

Hey guys I'm a long time Ford nut but brand new to the glory of the Powerstroke and thus brand new to the org. I've got a bone stock 97 crew cab 4x4 F250 that we call Papa Smurf. After I sell off my old gasser and it's parts I think I'm going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 to throw into the truck. I'm spending about a grand on fixing some of the issues it currently has (broken down springs, terrible shocks, sagging doors, bad glow plugs, leaky antifreeze etc.) but I'll have roughly $3k to spend on upgrades. My question to you guys who have been down this road (or want to go) is: If this were you, what would be your first priorities? Where would you put the money to get the best performance per dollar return?

After lurking on the site for a while, the general jist I've gotten is that a gauge package to monitor EGTs, Boost, and tranny temp is a must. I've also figured out that folks are big fans of the Tony Wildman chip. Beyond that it seems the AFE stage two intake, a 3" downpipe into 4" exhaust, and a 17* or Adrenaline HPOP are the best early upgrades. Future plans include Swamps 200/30% (Stage II?) injectors and a Hypermax intercooler (I know some will cry nay saying I should go with the 6.0 intercooler if anything but I don't really want a bunch of custom fit, I want the kit).

Anyway fellas, that's just the ideas I've gotten from lurking. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is pretty much what I would do with the exception of the intake, I would do a DIY intake with a Napa fleet Filter to save a lot of time. The Gauges are the most important though in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a perfect set up to me! But instead of buying an intake you could build your own with 4" exhaust tubing and an 6637 NAPA air filter or aftermarket one.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM

welcome and I agree with the others
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUR View Post
Hey guys I'm a long time Ford nut but brand new to the glory of the Powerstroke and thus brand new to the org. I've got a bone stock 97 crew cab 4x4 F250 that we call Papa Smurf. After I sell off my old gasser and it's parts I think I'm going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 to throw into the truck. I'm spending about a grand on fixing some of the issues it currently has (broken down springs, terrible shocks, sagging doors, bad glow plugs, leaky antifreeze etc.) but I'll have roughly $3k to spend on upgrades. My question to you guys who have been down this road (or want to go) is: If this were you, what would be your first priorities? Where would you put the money to get the best performance per dollar return?

After lurking on the site for a while, the general jist I've gotten is that a

gauge package to monitor EGTs, Boost, and tranny temp is a must.
yes that should be first

I've also figured out that folks are big fans of the Tony Wildman chip.
TW seems to be really good with the older trucks but there are also other tuners I.E. dp-tuner, PHP
Beyond that it seems the AFE stage two intake
you can do DIY filter set up as shown in the tech files much cheaper and it is what im running
, a 3" downpipe into 4" exhaust, and a 17* or Adrenaline HPOP are the best early upgrades.
i would do exhaust before i get the chip. as for the HPOP the adrenaline wont be able to handle bigger injectors later down the road unless you do a set of hybrids

Future plans include Swamps 200/30% (Stage II?) injectors and a Hypermax intercooler (I know some will cry nay saying I should go with the 6.0 intercooler if anything but I don't really want a bunch of custom fit, I want the kit).
if your planning on going with bigger injectors the 6.0 is a no go. it has plastic ends and will blow up at higher boost pressures.

Anyway fellas, that's just the ideas I've gotten from lurking. What do you guys think?
sounds like a good list. dont forget once you start putting on all that power together your going to need:
a bigger turbo $2000+
good trans $4000+

i know im forgeting stuff but good luck on your journey. i started with just gauges and now i have waaay to much in this truck and still want more . oh and welcome to the .org
Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM

I would get a Tymar intake. It comes as a kit that bolts right in and it is only a little over $100. good luck and welcome
Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimits View Post
I would get a Tymar intake. It comes as a kit that bolts right in and it is only a little over $100. good luck and welcome
Don't you have to replace the filter on the Tymar though? I've read good things about it but if I'm replacing filters every so often... Won't that $100 turn into more than I would've paid for a washable?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUR View Post
Don't you have to replace the filter on the Tymar though? I've read good things about it but if I'm replacing filters every so often... Won't that $100 turn into more than I would've paid for a washable?
Replacement filters are like $25 and you only have to replace them every 25,000 miles or so unless you drive it in some really dusty condition. Give Tymar a call. he is a great guy to talk to and will answer all your questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.