6.0L INtercooler on an OBS 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0L INtercooler on an OBS 7.3?

Just wondering why most folks are installing 6.0 intercoolers on their OBS 7.3L as opposed to a 7.3L (99-03) one? Will the stock 7.3 Intercoolers (99-03) not fit in the obs? Does the 6.0 have the volume needed for the obs 7.3, meaning is there no flow restriction?
Also, if the 6.0 IC is adequit, do you need to replace the stock y-pipe?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0 IC are bigger and more efficient than the 7.3 IC. You need an intake spyder off an early 99 or buy a kit
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM

the question that you need to ask yourself is how many lbs ob boost will you be running and what other upgrades will you or have you done to your truck?
Im only putting in an all metal SD intercooler because i dont plan on running more than 30lbs of boost and im thinking of only going with stage 1 injectors and 17* hpop or adrenaline hpop.
the 6.0 one is bigger for sure and if you get your hands on one for a good price then go with it, it wont hurt but due to more volume that will need to be filled up to create boost you many have some early turbo lag.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Unless your getting larger than stage 1's get whatever you can get cheap..with stage 2's even a 6.0 cooler won't control egt's on hot tunes.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 AM

I'm not planning on a hot rod, just bigger exhaust (turbo back), better intake and possibly a single stage tuner (ottomind or other). I have a glass boat and a camper and would like a bit more consistant power and want to keep her cold and running for a long time.

If I was to make the other improvements, would I see a benefit from adding the intercooler?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 AM

Caryt

Hey, I looked at your web shots site. Sweet truck! it's mine in a 95- same color combo and everything. My truck is completely stock at this point. In the very first pic, what was the lift size and tire and wheel combo on the truck? I really like the looks of that. I noticed the bumper was shifted forward, so they must be at least 33" or over 300mm?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks!

Different lifts..one is 3"RS kit and V and B codes on 35" Other one with dual front shocks is same with 4" Icons frt 5" rears on 2" blocks..

Bumper, well since I was the guy who came up with this idea I was in a rush and just threw the bumper on since I had to get to work Thats was over 8 years ago. We now notch the bumper.. If I can get you additional info..PM me.

Cary
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM

I have a 04 sd 6.0 intercooler on my truck and its great didnt notice any turbo lag, the only down side is in stock tune my truck seems like it runs lean at 2200 rpm it kinda cuts out as far as power but i have a ts 6 position chip so i put it in tow mode and its fine, got mine from a junk yard and custom made my intercooler lines from stock 6.0 tubing, I also found a 99 intake from a junk yard cost me $400 total for everything and it is worth every penny
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
yepp i found a 6.0 and lots of 7.3 pipes so i'll be putting on a 6.0 IC here pretty soon!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Well i just picked up my IC tonight!!!! I am excited to get it mounted up... anyone with advice for me post up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.