'95 7.3 PSD Performance Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 7.3 PSD Performance Upgrades

I have been trying to get a summary of the possible upgrades and performance enhancements for my '95. I'd appreciate a list of worthwhile upgrades for my truck from those in the know. I'm trying to make myself feel better as I just decided to keep my old truck after looking at the new 6.4 and doing all my research. My new tires just aren't enough.

1995 7.3 PSD, Manual 5sp, plain jane, clean, and running flawlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All I did was add a AFE filter and 4" exhaust along with a EDGE Performance chip programmer (set on race) to wake up my 95 PS.
You'll be surprised what that old 95 can do.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the Forum, DOC!

The way you start modding your powerstoke depends on what you want to do with it. I will list my mods and reasoning behind each for reference.

First mod was exhaust. I went with a 3" downpipe and ran the stock muffler for a while. The downpipe is a lot more efficient than stock and reduces EGT's. It also gives more of a turbo sound to the truck.

Next, I added a SCT microtuner and drop in K&N replacement filter for more power. Adding a tuner will make you think you bought a new truck.

I then decided the truck was not loud enough and ran 4" straight pipe and turned it out in front of the rear tires. It was now plenty loud, but lacked low end power and the quick spool-up it had with the stack muffler.

Since I tow a good bit, I decided I should get an intercooler and some gauges to help prolong my PSD's life. While looking at intercooler options, I called Banks engineering and ordered a complete technicooler kit and a Quick spool exhaust housing to help with the spool-up. I got my Auto-Meter boost and pyro from Jegs.

I was still not happy with the low end power and decided to add a muffler to try to get it back. Not to mention straight pipes at freeway speeds got a little annoying. I ordered a 4" Flowmaster Outlaw muffler and it was the cure I was looking for.

After joining this site, I stumbled on to the cheap mods and did a DIY intake, FPR shim, and CCV mod. These all helped a little. The FPR shim helped smooth the idle and made the truck more peppy. I could not complain about the trucks performance for a daily driver and tow rig. I had a good combo of parts.

But, I needed more. So, I ordered a custom 4 position chip from Tony Wildman and went with stage 1, 160cc injectors. This is what I was looking for. It is now one mean truck, and will hang with the super duty 7.3's.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

don't listen to pipelayer he doesn't know what he is talking about J/K!! Good post lots of good info there.
Just ask yourself what you want out of your truck, then when you have it figured out either ask a question here or call one of the vendors and let them know what you want to do, they will help you out

Mods you will get the most out of are
#1- injectors- it will feel like a completely diferent truck
#2-a TWildman chip- like going from a chevette to a corvette
#3- Terminator HPOS- Maximizes the power of your injectors

Good luck with the mods, once you start there is no stopping
Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 AM

when i first got my OBS truck i thought id be happy with just a programmer so i went ahead and ordered a Edge evo. then i said that i need to get my egt's lower so i got a 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust and said now im done for a while, WRONG... i then got a K&N intake kit and by this time my truck was pretty peppy, and i thought i was done with the mods but i was way off... since i had my truck it had a skip in it so i pull the motor to rebuild it and figure wat the heck that skip was so i ended up replacin quite a few parts wit the "well im right there looking at it so might as well do it right the first time rather than do it again" method. so during this time frame i installed BDP Stage I 160cc injectors a modified IDM and a TCI torque converter along with a sonnex triple valve shift kit and ported my exhaust parts on the motor and turbo out. then after that feasco i thougt i would be done but nope not yet. in the last sled pull event i competed in i burnt my stock turbo out because of hvin too much boost (around 40 psi) so now im installin a Holset H2E turbo kit and a newer 7.3 powerstroke intercooler kit...

just a word of advice from one OBS owner to another, if you do mod up ur truck get a boost gauge and watch to see if u go over 30 psi. if u do then ur turbo will not lias long at all and u will have a hell of a turbo bill on ur hands...

HAPPY MODDIN DOC HOPE THIS HELPS YA OUT!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

DirtyDiesel has the right idea thats pretty much the same mods as i have on mine. If you do those you will be very pleased with the end result. If you go with the stage 1's dont worry about buying the dual pump set-up. the ones will just set the CEL off. its not a big deal, wont hurt anything mine has been on daily for the last 2 years, you can go with the super duty pump and fix the light for good. this is pretty much the order i would go in.

1. 3" Downpipe
2. Tymar Intake
3. TW chip or BDP Chip
4. Converter and valve body
5. BDP Stage 1 Injectors
Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, guys, for the great info. I must admit, with all my schoolin', I'm a little naive on all the shorthand. I have done a lot of looking at suppliers' websites and the variety of options is a little daunting. Great to have some advice from guys who have lived it already.
Hey DirtyDiesel, hang on to that Bronco. I had a nice clean '76 302 Auto that I let go for a song. I still get a gut ache when I think about it. DOC
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 PM

thanx man will do...i might have to post some pics of itso all the ford bronco fans on here can see it. i got the frame all done and all i haev left to do is the body and wirin and stuff like that. the frame is absolutly gorgeous, i painted it 2 toned dark pearl blue and a pearl silver. it has a real nice 302 in it that is modded a good lil bit, its pushin just a hair over 400 ponies strapped to a C6 tranny and a NP205 trans case
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

All great info from everyone and like was said before do your intake and exhaust first to make way for the other stuff, it will feel a little peppyer after you do those two, then add a chip and enjoy, you will be suprised what it will run like then. next do your injectors and find somethin sturdy to hang onto when you tromp on it!!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good Stuff. What is y'all's opinion on which chip is best application and value? What do you think about "bypass" oil filtration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.