will these parts work well together? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
will these parts work well together?

would like to add power to my truck, and was looking at some of these parts and would like to know the opinion of the other board members

I was thinking of adding this turbo or one like it I saw on ebay:
FORD POWERSTROKE 7.3 STAGE 1 PERFORMANCE TURBO 94-97:eBay Motors (item 220522569022 end time Dec-13-09 06:51:03 PST)

along with this intake:
94-98 FORD POWERSTROKE INTAKE KIT 7.3 SYSTEM WITH AFE:eBay Motors (item 380186713058 end time Dec-16-09 18:02:54 PST)

also will do an exhaust 3"dp and 4" pipe with mufler.

and from what im reading on the forum I will get a wildman chip.

and with the turbo would i need better injectors? or would they be a waste of money? I was looking at the stage 1 diy I saw here:
PowerStroke 7.3 Injectors

Im looking for a nice boost in performance but dont want to waste money by doing the wrong mods. Im new to diesel but have had turbo gas powered cars.
also what kind of power can my tranny handle? Its been rebuilt about 5k ago and my truck is a 97 f-250 4wd with about 150k on it
thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can build your own intake system for much less money. Mine cost $60 CAD, and there are much better turbos out there for the money, Ebay is not always the best for performance stuff. Dont believe everything you read on there.

Search for DIY Intakes Or Tymar. Buy a 6637 filter at napa or almost any parts store and a 45 deg piece of 4" exhaust tube.

As for the turbo search D66, H2E. Thoes are just a few. Check out the sponsers on this site and you will find much better quality parts.

Last edited by ianjadkins; 12-12-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjadkins View Post
You can build your own intake system for much less money. Mine cost $60 CAD, and there are much better turbos out there for the money, Ebay is not always the best for performance stuff. Dont believe everything you read on there.

Search for DIY Intakes Or Tymar. Buy a 6637 filter at napa or almost any parts store and a 45 deg piece of 4" exhaust tube.

As for the turbo search D66, H2E. Thoes are just a few. Check out the sponsers on this site and you will find much better quality parts.
thanks for the responce, I dont mind paying a extra 50 for a intake, saves me the trouble of making one. but i would like to know more about the turbo options.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Go with the D66 turbo and stage 1 injectors, or do stage 1 injectors and an intercooler
Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

the do it yourself one is the best one money has to offer, its better for your truck in protecting from tiny dust particles and its really easy to make, i would never put one of those oiled intakes on a diesel, but thats just me
Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978psd View Post
Go with the D66 turbo and stage 1 injectors, or do stage 1 injectors and an intercooler
from what I saw the d66 is kind of expensive and maybe overkill for what im looking for, I just chose a turbo like the one in the ebay add cause i would like a little more boost and a faster spool up so I dont need to keep my foot in it. I do plan on a intercooler maybe next spring or summer, it takes the truck long enough as it is to warm up here in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
the do it yourself one is the best one money has to offer, its better for your truck in protecting from tiny dust particles and its really easy to make, i would never put one of those oiled intakes on a diesel, but thats just me
I didnt know an oiled filter would be a problem, thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 PM

That turbo that is on ebay is a good deal but if all your looking for is a little extra boost then get the 1.0 tubro housing and that will be the same as that turbo and yes the one on ebay is ported but that is not going to make a significant change, the only change is going to be the smaller turbo housing.
And definately do the tymar intake and as with all OBS make sure you have a 3" DP and straight piped exhaust really sounds good
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/swa...o-housing.html
heres one for sale here on powerstroke.org
Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978psd View Post
That turbo that is on ebay is a good deal but if all your looking for is a little extra boost then get the 1.0 tubro housing and that will be the same as that turbo and yes the one on ebay is ported but that is not going to make a significant change, the only change is going to be the smaller turbo housing.
And definately do the tymar intake and as with all OBS make sure you have a 3" DP and straight piped exhaust really sounds good
ok, thanks. I didnt really think much of the porting on the turbo, just the fact that claims to offer what im looking for. I can also bolt it right on the truck with no down time. The same person has a stage 2 upgrade turbo that im looking at also and claims a little more power, maybe ita a better option.
I just figured with a turbo upgrade I wouldnt have to rely on a chip although I plant to get one. Then my concern was fuel and thats why I want to upgrade to the diy stage 1 injectors.
it will probably be done in steps unless starting with an intake and exhaust. Im going to see how much of a diff the intake and exhaust make before i move on to a turbo upgrade.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Thats a very good idea. There will be a noticeable difference once you do the intake and DP.
And if you do that and a TW chip you will be fine. The TW tunes are killer, if you take a TS chip and use it and then get it re-burned with TW tunes it will be a night and day difference in the performance of your truck.
Look on ebay for a TS 6-position chip for any year truck and try and get it cheap and send it off to be re-burned with custom to your truck tunes.
If you buy a TW chip new with 6-positions it will cost you $475. If you send a TS-performance chip to him he will charge $150 for the re-burn so look for a Ts-chip for around 150-200 and send it to him and spend 150 for a re-burn and then you will see a HUGE difference in your truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.