Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Newby question, stock injector limitations

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  DopeStroke88 
#1 ·
I've searched but I'm not familiar or advanced with computers OR with all the lingo and acronyms associated with the components yet.

My question is what mods can/should be done before stock injectors just aren't good enough to keep up with the rest of the truck.

I've got a 96 SCLB 4wd. All stock other than a 4" intake. I know a 4" exhaust and down pipe are in her near future but as far as a tuner/goes and what tunes would be safe to run. I plan on buying a gauge pod as well so is it just a matter of letting pressures and temperatures of certain parts of the engine be my guide?

All information is appreciated as I'm new to the quest of more diesel power.

#2 ·
Do the supporting mods before injectors.

Inake
3" down pipe
straight pipe
gauges
tuner
HPOP
Efuel
intercooler

Custom tunes are the way to go since you will need custom when the injectors get changed.

Automatic or manual? Trans will need beefed up too.

What are your goals/uses for the truck? Usage can greatly affect mods. No one wants a smokey, high EGT tow vehicle

#3 ·
It's a 5 speed with 164xxx. The truck is my daily driver and I use my truck alot. If I got to haul, I haul. But nothing really heavy at all. No pulls and mudding at all. I want the truck to run as efficiently as possible. I want as much power as I can fetch without burning a tank of fuel every trip to work and back.

#6 ·
OBS trucks are 3" at the turbo and go to 3.5" at the CAT and 3.5" all the way to the back. A 4" downpipe will require some good firewall work to fit. Cheers!

#7 ·
Ok I assumed some work would be involved but I have seen a few threads that had step by step instructions that made it seem doable with a few 1" cuts down the firewall and a mallet to put a convenient roll into the firewall thus making room for a 4" downpipe. So would an extra 1/2" to the exhaust make a noticible difference? Or would eliminating the muffler be good enough. I've got 3 gauges in the mail an egt, boost, and fuel pressure. Are those the main ones I should be worried about with a manual tranny I assume I don't need to monitor trans pressure. What about hpop gauge?

#11 ·
Its not so much the tune as it is the driver. If you drive conservatively, then it will probably be fine as long as your stock clutch is in decent shape. If you throw it in Race and floor it all over, things will be different.

We can get you setup with better quality tunes than the generic TS ones. If you purchase a TS chip or already have one, we can reburn it with our custom tunes too.

https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power.../tuning-32/ts-chip-reburn/ts-chip-reburn.html

#14 ·
I've been putting some money Back to upgrade my truck this spring I've got everything to repair the rear wheel arcs and do the performance mods and I am just trying to stretch my money as far as I can stretch it. Justin if you could PM and let me know what sort of tunes are available and what they are used for i'd appreciate it. I've got the gauges ordered and want to have an exhaust done by April. Then I will looking into a chip

#16 ·
What is your overall power goal. Stock 90cc injectors max out at about 225rwhp. A 3" downpipe is plenty and many have put down 600hp with a 3" pipe. Do you have a single mass flywheel or the Oem dual mass?

#17 ·
All is stock except for the riffraff diesel tymar intake. It has 35" nitto tires as well. I dont need or want a truck that breaks the tires loose in every gear or breaks the bank for that matter. I'm just looking for some modifications that are common and reasonable to help the truck run better and get a little bit more power.. I don't haul much more than anyone else who "needs" a truck. I pull a sidexside as well as a bass buggy pontoon boat from time to time. Other than that i fill the bed up with gravel or mulch every so often, as well as drive it 40 miles a day round trip + trips to town and back. It's just my truck. I don't do truck pulls, drag races, mud bogs (on purpose), or auto shows. It's just a truck that I want to do a little work to make it more efficient and wake it up a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.