The sound of air - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The sound of air

So I have DYI intake, 3" DP 4" cat back, 6 position TS chip.

I installed the chip and the exhaust a day apart (chip first then exhaust). Even before the exhaust after putting in the chip i now "hear air". Is this normal after increasing the boost level? I have owned many of turbo cars(gas ofcourse) and you can hear some air. I checked the "Y" pipe and the rubber seals, the are all good. Are there any other places to check boost leak or as I asked, is this normal to hear it more vivid now?

Thanks

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, I'm guessing that when you say "hear air", you're referring to the sucking sound of the turbo? If so, then yes, it's normal. My VW is turbocharged, and you can hear the turbo sucking air pretty decent, but keep in mind, these trucks aren't VW's. We're not talking 1.8L, we're talking 7.3L. 444 cubic inches of big block motor. These motors consume A LOT of air. And I'm imagineing that it's even more prvilent with good, custom tunes. I wouldn't worry about anything. If you really want to check for boost leaks, then DieselSite has a product that you plug into the compressor side of the turbo, and you then pressurize it with an aircompressor. If there's a leak, you'll hear it.

mike
Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, I dont think its so much sucking of air. It almost sound like a boost leak, the pushing of air. I could be wrong, and you are right, these's engine require a lot of air in general. I'll listen again today to pin point sucking of or pushing of air. Thanks for the suggestion/idea.

Charles
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Charles, No problem. I personally think that the bit that you can get from DieselSite is pretty cool. Plug it into the compressor side of the turbo, and pressurize everything to 10 or 20 psi to bring out boost leaks (at proper pressure) The big issue, is to check it without, then it's going to be pretty tough. With their rig, the motors off, and everything is quite. It's just kinda expensive if you ask me.

mike
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I was looking at that piece, it is niffty but I do agree it is kinda expensive for what it is. Anyways, I'll be leaving in a bit and hopefully it is more of a sucking sound vs pushing.

Charles
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That sounds like turbo surge to me. The Compressor wheel is actually choking out and reversing flow because it can no longer take in any more air, it sounds like a pst pst pst pst when the boost is climbing?

Mine makes this noise when towing heavy loads or pulling hills empty. There are 3 ways that im aware of to cure this

Wicked Wheel install, its a compressor wheel that is a stock compressor wheel off of a early 99 PSD

ported compressor housing- its a 4" inlet instead of the three, and its a larger housing I believe all together

Larger Turbine housing-This info came from brian at BTS, he said that this is the only mod you would need to do to totally cure turbo surge, he said to go with a 1.00 exhaust housing

The wicked wheel is the cheapest of the three

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=47

Ported Shroud Compressor Housing

1.0 AR Turbine Housing
Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 AM

obs have the wicked wheel. thats why we never have surge
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4_million_boy View Post
obs have the wicked wheel. thats why we never have surge
I just realized that i spent that post on a OBS thread, i didnt realize it until just now. I need to stop hittin the new post button and just going on a clicking frenzie.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I desided to double check before I left that there were no visable signs of boost leak ( boots, Y-pipe). Well I suppose maybe I put the clamp down to far so when it built boost after while it slid down and left a nice big opening. I took it off and cleaned it about 2 days ago when I did my exhaust, guess I didn't tighten it enough or had the clamp to far down the boot. O well, guess I shoud check and double check the simple things before asking questions on the forums lol.

Wierd thing is tho, the truck actually seems not as powerful in the low end after I fixed it... Wierd... My only assumption is it was able to spool up really quick (little resistance because air could escape). I dunno, maybe its just my imagination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.