4" or 5" Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" or 5" Exhaust

So a few weeks back I cut the exhaust on my truck before the cat and just just a straight pipe out the side. However it has been brought to my attention that the cold temps we get out here (Sometimes down to -20)could get to my turbo, after shutting down. I love the growl I get with the current setup but I need to do an exhaust so I don't run into issues.

Do you guys reccomend a 4" or 5" straight pipe kit with a down pipe? Where can I get the best deal? Thanks, Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You only need 5" for sound, other than that there is no hp gain. And I dont think you have to worry much about the cold air getting to your turbo if you cat is still in tact, the cat should be hot enough to warm the air before reaching your turbo. Then again -20 is kinda cold....
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM

4inch is plenty for performance, 5" is just for asthetics and sound. I have a 5" and i love it. As far as your DP, i think the biggest you can go on a OBS is a 3.5 inch
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM

I don't have a cat anymore, just down pipe to straight pipe. I was going to do the 3" down pipe, just wondering if i'd see any advantages between a 4" and 5"
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeEKandDESTROY2 View Post
I don't have a cat anymore, just down pipe to straight pipe. I was going to do the 3" down pipe, just wondering if i'd see any advantages between a 4" and 5"
In that case then yes, cold air would get to you turbo easy. You can get a 4" downpipe but those are *beep*beep*beep*ing hard to put on. Alot of beating and your passenger will most likely have a foot stool to rest his/her foot on while riding with you. 3" downpipe to 4" stright pipe is same performance as 5" stright. Unless you are cranking out extream HP 600+, 3" DP 4" SP will do fine. As said before, 5" is for sound.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM

What do you mean cold air getting to the turbo???? If its -20 out than cold air will get to everything no matter what exhaust is on the truck. Am I missing something?

3" downpipe, and 4" or 5" back. 4" is all thats needed and sounds great, 5" looks cool and sounds really deep.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Duraturd View Post
What do you mean cold air getting to the turbo???? If its -20 out than cold air will get to everything no matter what exhaust is on the truck. Am I missing something?.

Im missing somthing to ??? Any way, farmboy diesel has a budget 4'' exaust with or with out muffler. Dimond eye sells 4" 5" and 4" duel also stanless 4" for a little more.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM

ok just get the 5in! it sounds a lot better. i love my 5in....but now i think thats even too small haha
Old 11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TurboTPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Duraturd View Post
What do you mean cold air getting to the turbo???? If its -20 out than cold air will get to everything no matter what exhaust is on the truck. Am I missing something?
Haha, thats what i was thinking. When the truck is off, the turbo will be ambient air temp no matter what. Cold air doesnt hurt turbos
Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI View Post
Haha, thats what i was thinking. When the truck is off, the turbo will be ambient air temp no matter what. Cold air doesnt hurt turbos
I think he is thinking in terms like how they say not to run open headers on an engine, cold air hits the exhaust valve and can warp/weakin them. If you exhaust is to short and cold air can rush up the exhaust I guess it could warp a hot side of a turbo like it could exhaust valves? Maybe not.

I dont think diesels exhaust get quite as hot as gas engines under normal conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.