Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

T4 turbo options

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  D66stroke 
#1 ·
Curious as to if a 300 or 400 series T4 is the best option for an OBS?

Thanks

#2 ·
Depends on what your doing. Just a daily driver or tow rig I say s300.
Drag racing or sled pulling s400

#3 ·
What size injectors and supporting mods will determine what size turbo (how much air) you will need? YOU need to decide how the truck will be used and how much hp you are going for. Then check if your funds support that reality?

#7 ·
Lots of happy 7.3 owners after installing a SXE. I run the S369SXE with 350/200s. It is the largest 300 frame turbo you can get. The only tune is use has fueling pulled back to the mid 300hp range. Spools up great with the 1.0 housing. Lots of options on the SXE line up. The 364.5sxe and 366sxe are very popular on the 7.3 platform. Swamps built a 7.3 for a customer that put over 700 on thier engine dyno with a single S369.

#11 ·
I'm new here, and some may not agree with me on this, but since my 97 was just a daily I ran a s475. I was only running 238/100's so obviously not ideal for a s475. But it spooled fine, just wasn't enough fuel up top. I went big initially since a 7.3 can spool a turbo like that with even close to stock fuel, that way when I did go big fuel/oil I already had the air. Just something to consider if you don't tow or anything. Also keep in mind a s400 and s300 use 2 different size flanges for the downpipe and hot side IC pipe could be V-band vs boot connection, so if you buy a s400 mount to temporarily run a s300 expect to throw a couple more dollars at it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.