New to the Game - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile New to the Game

Hey i just bought a 96 psd 170k anything i should be worrying about any problems that appear about now also im looking to do some upgrades what would be my best choice to start off with. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

YES. There are a few things you'll want to "keep and eye on". First off, is your engine valley. Many of these trucks are having issues with the fuel pump in the engine valley. They get old, and the seals break down inside, and they start to leak fuel into the engine valley. (it then drips down the back of the motor) The fuel lines going from the fuel filter bowl to the fuel pump are often times old and cracked, and should be replaced with new, high pressure fuel lines.

You'll also want to pick up some coolant test strips. (available at Napa, Ford, International, and many other diesel related locations. i.e. cummins, cat, etc.) You'll need these test strips to check the status of your coolant/ antifreeze. (look up diesel engine cavitation) You'll also want to pick up some coolant additives from Ford, so that you're prepared.

Check your GPR (glow plug relay), and GP's (glow plugs). Chances are good that your GPR is toast, or on it's way out. The stock units, and the standard replacements, don't handle the required power well, and they go out. Generally, the replacement that's considered the "best" is made by Stancor. (model 905 I think) Search around, I know it's been brought up in at least 1 other active thread. (I'm getting ready to replace this in my truck)

Also, get yourself a spare CPS (camshaft position sensor) They're about $20, and the cps can cause some really irratic problems, and they're known for going out at the worst times.

That would be what I would "keep and eye on". Other than that, your routine maintenace should keep ya rollin for a long time. With preventative maintenance in mind, you might want to get your truck up to a "baseline", that way "YOU" know the last time something's been done. Check all your fluids. With this in mind, you could drain and flush your coolant, and change your thermostat out for a fresh one. You could change out your transmission fluid and transmission filter. Possibly change out your CPS, or at least get yourself a spare. Check your brakes. Change your oil. (be sure to use a "Diesel" rated oil, and a good filter) Change out your fuel filter.

Well, I know it looks and sounds like a lot, but it's really not. That should get you going, and keep you rollin down the road for quite a while.

Hope this helps.

mike
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks man any ideas on my current problem my truck sometimes at 55 shifts out of overdrive then back in then back out it does it several time then it jus stops for the rest of my drive
Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Hmmm. Tough. To me, it sounds like a sensor or an electrical issue somewhere. I'll see what I can find.

Since you seem very proactive with the preventative maintenance, you might want to get yourself a manual. Good paper manuals are really tough to find. About the best thing available, is Alldatadiy.com. You might want to check it out.

mike
Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Welcome to the Addiction um I mean Org!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 AM

Well, I'm not sure. The Alldatadiy.com account that I have, is only going to provide info on vehicles up to the model '95 year, and your truck is a '96. With that being said, I did find this article, and it might apply to your truck. (though it might not as well)

Here it is:

" [Article No.
03-21-12

10/06/03

^ STALL - WHEN REVERSE AND/OR MANUAL LOW
ARE SELECTED - (DTC) P1728 - OVERDRIVE
CANCEL LAMP ILLUMINATED - 7.3L DIT ENGINE -
VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES
BUILT PRIOR TO 9/20/95

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - 7.3L DIT ENGINE -
OVERDRIVE CANCEL LAMP ILLUMINATED, (DTC)
P1728, AND WHEN REVERSE AND/OR MANUAL
LOW ARE SELECTED - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO
9/20/95

FORD:
1995-1996 E-350, F SUPER DUTY, F-250, F-350

Article 96-10-14 is being republished and updated as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.

ISSUE

On vehicles with transmission build dates prior to 9/20/95, the overdrive cancel lamp may be illuminating and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1728 present and/or engine stall when reverse and/or manual low is selected may occur on some vehicles. This could be caused by the torque converter hub contacting the cover which may generate metallic and/or friction material particles causing control valves to stick and/or damage the fluid pump. Damage to the fluid pump may cause the converter clutch to engage intermittently.

ACTION

Replace front pump assembly and/or torque converter if damage or wear is present. Refer to the following Service Procedure for the proper action to use to correct the concern identified.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

OVERDRIVE CANCEL LAMP IS ILLUMINATED AND DTC P1728 IS PRESENT

1. Verify proper transmission function by performing diagnostic procedures as specified in the appropriate Service Manual, Page 07-01A-43, then Page 07-01A-94 for DTC P1728 and service as required.

2. If DTC P1728 is still present, examine the front pump assembly for internal damage. Examine gear pockets and stator support for wear. Check for stuck pump valves. Replace pump only if damage or wear is present.

3. Replace torque converter.

4. Clean and flush transmission cooler lines and fluid coolers. Transmission may need to be disassembled and cleaned if fluid is contaminated and/or discolored.

5. Once proper fluid flow volume is verified install the Service In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA).

ENGINE STALLS WHEN REVERSE AND/OR MANUAL LOW ARE SELECTED

1. Perform diagnostics for engine stalls as specified in the appropriate Service Manual, Pages 07-01A-94 and 07-01A-115, and service as required.

2. If stalling concern is still present, perform the transmission fluid cooler flow test found in the appropriate Service Manual, Section 07-01A, and service as required.

3. If stalling is still present, examine the pump for internal damage. Examine gear pockets and stator support for wear. Check for stuck pump valves. Replace pump only if damage or wear is present.

4. Replace torque converter.

5. Clean and flush transmission cooler lines and fluid coolers. Transmission may need to be disassembled and cleaned if fluid is contaminated and/or discolored.

6. Once proper fluid flow volume is verified install the Service In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA).

OVERDRIVE CANCEL LAMP IS ILLUMINATED DTC P1728 IS PRESENT, AND THE ENGINE STALLS WHEN REVERSE AND/OR MANUAL LOW IS SELECTED

1. Examine the pump for internal damage. Examine gear pockets and stator support for wear. Check for stuck pump valves. Replace pump only if damage or wear is present.

2. Replace torque converter.

3. Clean and flush transmission cooler lines and fluid coolers. Transmission may need to be disassembled and cleaned if fluid is contaminated and/or discolored.

4. Once proper fluid flow volume is verified install the Service In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA). ]"

I copied and pasted it straight out of Alldatadiy. As I said, it might apply, as you've got an E4OD.

Hope this helps.

mike
Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Welcome to the org.....glad to see/hear of another OBS truck around
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey thanks for the welcome guys unfortunately it happens when im at 55 not us moving i think i may need a rebuild the tranny shifts pretty hard so im gonna have it all looked at soon anyone suggest a chip or a programer for performance?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go with a custom chip over a programer, Beans Diesel Performance makes some great tunes.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootman View Post
hey thanks for the welcome guys unfortunately it happens when im at 55 not us moving i think i may need a rebuild the tranny shifts pretty hard so im gonna have it all looked at soon anyone suggest a chip or a programer for performance?
ive tried a couple different ones on my old truck. i found the best performance out of my edge evo. i loved the way it smoked and it gave more power than any other one i put on there and tried. jus my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.