Downpipe leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Downpipe leak

So I just finished installing my turbo back exhaust, 3" downpipe 4" all other. I am having a %$#^ of a time getting the downpipe to clamp to the turbo. I have it almost all the way on there but I have a slight leak still.

What will happen if I am unable to get this all the way on? Will it cause high egt's?

You cant hear the leak, you can feel it a bit if you put your hand over it. I am stil going to fight with it but I would like to know if I should expect any damage if it is run like that or if it ever slips up while driving after I get it fixed.

Also, any idea's on how to get it on there easier?

Thanks

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No the downpipe will not cause EGT issues..

The only issue would be soot blowing out the opening and you'll be smelling exhaust..
Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well thats a good to know that the egt's wont do anything. Any suggestions as to how to get it on better, any tricks or just time/patience?

Thanks

Charles
Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 PM

having someone hold the dp while you put the bango clamp on makes it a lot easier.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 AM

Quick question did you bend up the fire fall at the location ware the pipe comes down? For some reason I have put these pipes in and had to bend more in for some then others. On my truck I had to use a sizzer jack to compress that area enough. Lt looks like have put a dent in that area. it did not cause any problems, but the pipe slide right in. This allowed for the pipe to be clapped on just right with out any leaks. Hope this helps. later on
Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Quick question did you bend up the fire fall at the location ware the pipe comes down? For some reason I have put these pipes in and had to bend more in for some then others. On my truck I had to use a sizzer jack to compress that area enough. Lt looks like have put a dent in that area. it did not cause any problems, but the pipe slide right in. This allowed for the pipe to be clapped on just right with out any leaks. Hope this helps. later on
I did bend it, maybe not enough or a lot. I dont feel as if I bent it as much as I have read people on the forums say they have spend hours bending the firewall. I spend maybe 15-20 mins. That very well could be the problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 AM

that could be it. I spent like 3 to 4 hours on making sure that it was bent for correct positioning of the pipe. I spent more time putting the pipe back in forth in and out then I did anything else. but it paid off. let me know if you need any more help
Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I drove it today and yea, the downpipe viberates agianst the truck bad. So do I need to pound out the firewall near the bottom of the truck, like near the bell housing of the tranny *edit*.

If so, what suggestion would you use to pound it in? Cant really get a hammer or a mallett in there. I can get a pry bar but what can I safely pry against?

Last edited by SpudZooka; 11-08-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Try to find a small scissor jack. Wedge it in between the point you bent in, and the bell housing on the tranny. The fire wall should bend in and I would push it in 3 inchs or so. you will also need to move it a few time to get the whole area bent in. I hope that this helps. Let me know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great thanks, I will see about getting one tomorrow or so. I presume the downpipe has to come out again .

Well, I'll let you know, Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.