Straight pipe exhaust, noise level and possible problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight pipe exhaust, noise level and possible problems?

I want to straight pipe the truck in a couple of weeks. This includes the removal of the catalystic converter and the muffler. It has a stock downpipe, and everything else is stock also.

I personaly really don't mind a loud rig.
But I do care about police annoying me.

So how you guys are getting out in the city with this setup ? Is it TOO loud, or just as loud as the fart-can-civic just beside ?
I am driving a (sometime) really loud car since 3 years, and I only got a verbal warning twice because I was also stopped for speeding. And there is no inspection of whatsoever around here.
Thanks for your inputs !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive never had a problem with the cops, but whenever I get pulled over I turn the truck off right away beacuse the truck is damn loud just idling. But as long as you stay soft with the loud pedal through town you will be just fine
Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 AM

These trucks are loud. Especially the motors. It's just how the OBS trucks are. The sound/ noise is mostly from the injectors if I understand correctly.

As for exhaust. Well, ditch the stock DP, and get a 3" DP down to a 4" exhaust. (anything bigger than 4" is really just for sound) I don't personally think the exhaust makes these trucks that much louder. When it's loud, is when you're rompin on the skinny pedal. The straight pipe exhaust allows you to really hear each cylinder strike, and the whistle of the turbo. If you're worried/ concerned about the cops harassing you, then I would just stick with a 3" DP to a 4" exhaust, and you should be just fine. And, if you do get pulled over, just shut the truck off, and you should be ok. Honestly though, most of the sound is from the engine, which you have NO control over.

mike
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM

My truck at idle all you can here is the turbo... even at speed its really not that loud... I have had louder trucks before
Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Ok thanks!
When I get stop in my car cops usually need to talk loud and close to the window cause it's too loud, and never got a ticket for it.
I can't afford about anything right now, but scrap pieces of exhaust around the shop dosent cost a dime.

So beside the turbo whine, noise level wouln't be way more than stock when you look at how loud the engine is ? With the stock exhaust line I can hear my truck idling across the street in my basement.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Nope, if you can already hear your truck from across the street, I highly doubt it'll get any louder.

Zrock- Interesting. I've never heard of an OBS truck being quiet. Especially quite enough to hear the turbo while idling.

mike
Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would suggest a down pipe for sure that will help with performance and EGTs. You might consider just gutting the cat oops I mean knocking stuffing out with a bar. This will take the harsh exhaust note out....My sig truck has DP to 4" straight pipe then SS Resonator which is round 6" by 14" (IIRC) long...runs 4" in and out with remainder of exhaust in stock location over the rear axle and out to 5" tip....I like it..only truly obnoxious when you step on it....least from the inside....if you sound proof the interior as I did on my '96 that make a huge difference...on the inside....heh heh...
Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndrm View Post
Zrock- Interesting. I've never heard of an OBS truck being quiet. Especially quite enough to hear the turbo while idling.

mike
I can hear my turbo start spinning when I start the truck. if the passengers side window is open I can hear the turbo at idle, but I have to strain to hear it with it closed.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm running the larger down pipe with a straight 4" from Farmboy sounds great to me but there is one large draw back. Like i said it sounds great whistles like a big a__ tea pot, and it seems to be just the right sound level to scare the hell out of deer & Elk along the roadside, they hear me coming and take off like the devil himself was chasing them. It's great for avoiding running them over while on rad trips, but it's not so great come hunting season.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.