Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

De-Tuning a bigger turbo

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Justin@DP-Tuner 
#1 ·
I have been away from the powerstroke game for a while now since I sold my 95.. but recently just happen to come across a holy grail truck. A 96 ccsb 7.3, 5 speed F250, already 60 swapped. I have been looking for an OBS for the right deal since the second I got rid of my old one. Anyways, my question is, can you de-tune a bigger turbo to run with stock injectors, and other supporting mods? The reason I am asking is because this winter I will be peeling the body off the frame and completely restoring it, and would like to eventually (next winter) go with an irate T4 kit. But I figured while the cab wasn't on the frame it would be a pretty ideal time to do that. But wouldn't be doing injectors or HPOP until next winter. Just wondering if that is possible with tuning. Thanks.

#2 ·
You really aren't de-tuning for a big turbo. It would be more like up-tuning. You have to throw more fuel at the turbo to get it to spool. The amount would obviously depend on what size turbo you have.

What are you thinking as a turbo choice?

Large injectors and a small turbo is what you de-tune for.

#3 ·
The stock TP38 is already a laggy turd with its 1.10 housing. If your staying under 400hp and if you tow a lot you may consider the S364.5sxe with a .91 or 1.0 housing. DP who posted above sells those. If you don't tow much you may step up to the S369sxe. Even with stock fueling the S364.5 would likely work better than the stock turbo.

#7 ·
:ditto:

Ok duhh that makes sense. I knew you de-tuned injectors to fuel less for a smaller turbo, but I guess I didn't know how much you could "up-tune" stock injectors. I want to run either 250 or 300cc 200% injectors in the future so I was looking at either an S369SXE or a S467.7 charger.

It also wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to wait until next winter to do everything at once because the motor is most likely coming out to do the oil pan, which I wasn't thinking about. Plan is to take care of the body this winter and then play with the motor next.
That is the best option. Then you do not have to deal with the ill effects of running a turbo and injectors not matched for each other.

#4 ·
Ok duhh that makes sense. I knew you de-tuned injectors to fuel less for a smaller turbo, but I guess I didn't know how much you could "up-tune" stock injectors. I want to run either 250 or 300cc 200% injectors in the future so I was looking at either an S369SXE or a S467.7 charger.

It also wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to wait until next winter to do everything at once because the motor is most likely coming out to do the oil pan, which I wasn't thinking about. Plan is to take care of the body this winter and then play with the motor next.

#5 ·
The most you can squeeze out of the stock AA code 98cc injectors is about 80 crank hp. Most tuned stock injector OBS trucks are around 225rwhp. Unless it is a cali truck with AB split shots (120cc)

I am running the S369sxe and like it so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.