Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

e350 wich chip to use(programer)

9K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  chummey 
#1 ·
i got a 97 e350 i dont want to make a lot more power but i want to give it more towing capability and also be able to tro out the **** of the van if a litle honda boy come on my side

i already got

4 inch exausth
egt
boost gage
oil presure gage
truck its stock

i saw alots of people speacking about total diesel perfomance that the better way to go? or the only way to go!

i can get edge also bd and hypertech

tanks alots

#2 ·
i just got a evolution its make a big diference but when i reech 23 psi

check engine come on and my watchdog told my i dont get more then 10 psi after that until the ligth come off i try to read the code but the cumputer dont give me any trouble code

i just send a email to TW chip

can somebody help me to know what gone a be the next part i really need to put there please

i read alot aboute the hpop did i really need one ? can somebody explaine to me how come that high presure oil pump play in the game with the injectors i dont understand that

#3 ·
Dump the edge and look into getting something custom tuned. Wither it be from TDP or from one of the many other chip tuner. Look up DP tuner, Power Hungry Performance, Swamps Diesel and many others. I have saw some real disasters resulting from the edge, its very cruel to the transmission. Good Luck!

#4 ·
You injectors are hydraulically activated (using engine oil). That High Pressure Oil Pump pressurizes the injectors with engine oil. The pump that is put in the older trucks (and vans) is what's called a 15 degree pump. It doesn't pump as much oil as a newer 17 degree pump. When you demand more oil than the pump can supply, the computer throws a code (P1211 - ICP below desired mount). ICP is Injection Control Pressure, it's what ford calls your high pressure oil. Basically it won't hurt anything, but it will throw a code. IF you get a custom chip from Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance), it will make the code go away automatically. It won't change the fact that you are using all the high pressure oil you have.

One thing that the Wildman chip will do for you is use that oil more effectively than a edge evolution will. My brother used to run a Superchip tuner in his truck, and he got codes all the time. The performance was okay, but not great. Now he runs a TW chip, and the power is much better, and the thing doesn't throw codes.

The most important thing that TW chip will give you over an Edge is the transmission tuning. Edge is famous for it's poor transmission tuning. It *will* wreck your transmission. TW actually tunes your transmission to handle the extra power safely.

#5 ·
wow tanks alots man now i really understand that :D

if i just want to get it trouble free the thing i need to do to be SURE just put a TW chip and a a better hpop gone a be the best bang for the buck if i only want to be SAFE wich hpop i can put (for less money but safe)

i bougth this van because i need to tow my trailer with my offroad truck and towing a big f250 on the trailer its not the most heavy low this kind of truck can see but its heavy

#6 ·
I would do the new pump first, then get a TW chip that is programmed to work with the new pump to take advantage of it.

Or you can get a TW chip first, and then have it re-programmed when you get the pump upgraded. re-burns of the chip are either really cheap or free. Getting it re-burned is no big deal, you just have to send it off for a few days.

#7 ·
wath im gone a do im gone a order the chip for the pump and im gone a buy the pump today

but witch pump do you think im gone a need the adrenaline look very godd but litle pricy

can i get something more cheeper or that the way to gay if its the way im not gone a wait and order this one BUT if i can save litle money and get something good for me WHY NOT

btw tanks alots you help me very bad

#8 ·
Adrenaline pumps are a nice option, but kind of a waste on a van. That is what some body with a 17 degree pump upgrades to when they run out of oil pressure on a newer truck. For you, simply getting a 17* pump will do a lot for you.

Just buy a pump from any truck or van after 2000, and it will be a 17* pump. :thumb:

#11 ·
A pump from a 2000 to 2003 7.3l is what you want. See if you can get the high pressure lines, and fittings on the heads too.

If you need the numbers off your PCM, you'll have to pull it out and look at it.

take your battery terminals off, and unscrew the bolt that holds the harness on the PCM. The PCM is located next to the master cylinder/brake booster. It sticks into the firewall. Unbolt the wire harness, and then there are a few little screws that hold a rectangular rubber cover in place. Once the cover is off, you can pull it out. There will be a Ford part number on it, and also in bold lettering there will be a 4 digit/letter calibration code. That should be all you need. While you have it out, take it apart and clean the contacts on the back side expansion port that you will be plugging your chip into in a few days. There is black plastic cover (3/4" x 2") covering it. To clean the contacts well, you can just take the PCM apart. There is a goo on the contacts that needs to be cleaned.

After you clean them, re-assemble the PCM, and reinstall. When you get your chip, you can just pull the little cover off from the inside of the cab, and plug your chip in. Tape it in place very well. If it gets yanked out while the batteries are connected, it *WILL* fry your chip and PCM both. Needless to say, disconnect your batteries before you install the chip.

#12 ·
ok tanks alots im gone a check that rigth away :D

for the hpop its look like nobody get that or they want a sell it for to mutch i think im gone a order the adrenaline like that its gone a be fine

for the presure line and the fiting on the heads if i buy the adrenaline did im gone a need it or its gone a be with the pump ?

tanks alots im new in the diesel world i know alots on regular engine but the fuel world its another world

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.