fuel system upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel system upgrade?

Well the truck started to use alot of fuel over the past couple days and I started taking stuff apart and thought it was the fuel pump, but it turned out to be the blue fuel lines. Well I ended up taking the stock fuel filter housing off and was thinking, would it make sense to tap into the stock fuel lines on the frame rail. Mount an aftermarket filter and water seperator system. Than on top of the motor mount a pressure regulator and just use the stock pump and most of the stock lines. Im not planning on doing bigger than stage 1 injectors so I dont really need the big fuel system but a decent upgrade would be nice and Im kinda on a tight budget thats why I would be nice to use some of the stock stuff.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Yea, you can use the stock lines up to the heads.....Your looking at a new fuel pump...one form a SD truck, fuel regulator, fittings, new lines for the regulator and for feed... highly recomend a FWS if your gonna eliminate the fuel bowl. It works like this.....run tap into the lines at the top of the engine, The feed line will need to be T'd off...so you can feed both heads. The return side (front of heads) needs to be plumbed into the regulator....then back into the return line.
As far as plumbing into the tank supply...I tapped into it after the tank selector switch. The filter set up will have to be plumbed in by tapping into and out off the stock lines, if you choose to use them.

I ran all new line #6 wire braid... but I had the line laying around to use. Also had to change the fittings in the rear (feed) of the heads. I picked up the fuel supply after the tank selector....I made my own bracket to mount the fuel pump and filter on.
Fuel flow..... from the tank, thru the selector, into the filter, to the pump, into a FWS, to the heads, out the heads into the regulator, into the return side at the tank selector.

Eleminate the fuel bowl, and remove the stock pump. Use a freeze plug to block off the hole in the valley from the stock pump. Easier on you if you remove the turbo.

Its alot to do, more than I figured....I changed over due to lack of volume to feed my stage 2 injectors. Its a good setup, just time consuming. I wouldnt do it unless I was planning on running bigger than stage 1 injectors in the future.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM

how much do you think it cost you?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 PM

and also I noticed there was I think maybe 3 electrical plugs that go into the stock filter housing? What did you do with those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.