Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Billett compressor wheel

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  1Dieselman 
#1 ·
Does anybody know anything about this compressor wheel? I removed it from a ups truck here at work the seals in the turbo are shot and leaking but it has this compressor wheel in it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's probably a 96, the wheel looks like one of those kc billett wheels but I'm not sure

#5 ·
What exactly would I be risking? Seems like an upgrade going from a cast wheel to a billett wheel.... it came out of a tp38 these are dinosaur trucks made out of international chassis and these are the older 7.3 as they have a mechanical fuel pump where all obs 7.3 powerstrokes have them. So I'm not sure what I would be risking by lightening the rotating mass of the stock turbo and adding more blades as to what is already in the truck.

#6 ·
Hard to tell who made it but I don't see a problem using it. I would also install a 360* bearing kit at the same time.

#7 ·
I wasn't planning on removing the turbo just swap out compressor wheels.

#9 ·
What's wrong with swapping the wheel with the turbo installed?

#10 ·
You can't just change the compressor wheel on a obs without removing the turbo there's not enough room to remove the compressor housing. Even if you could just change the wheel if the turbo is high mileage you could very possibly wipe the bearings with the extra load you are going to add to them.

#11 ·
OK fair enough about removing the compressor housing, but how will I be adding more load to the bearing?

#13 ·
Well I'm planning on using one but I will be holding the exhaust impeller as to not make lots of rotations on the bearing with no oil supply.

#14 ·
The problem with the impact is it shocks. The shaft and could put hair line cracks in it. not so much bearing problems
And it comes off easily with a ratchet anyway

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#15 ·
I wasn't thinking so much about using a impact. I am saying with the billet wheel the turbo will build more boost therefore more load on the turbo bearings. You might get away with it with stock injectors but to me installing a 360* bearing kit is cheap insurance.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#17 ·
I know I'm running on borrowed time with my stock turbo with 1.0 housing. I have the billet wheel and 360* bearing kit sitting on the bench and want to get a ebpv delete pedestal.

#19 ·
I would be interested in hearing some details on how you like that setup? Do you pull anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.