Another hi-five for the resistor mod! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another hi-five for the resistor mod!

Hey guys, I've been stalking for a while, but this is my first post.

I just bought my 96 F-250 a couple weeks ago. It came with the 4" MBRP turbo-back, DIY intake, and a BB in the FPR. I just installed VDO gauges on the A-pillar (less than $200 for pillar pod, boost gauge and pyro gauge!).

Anyways, enough history on the truck, I just tried out a handfull of resistors the other day and I couldn't belive the difference it made! I felt the truck was too sluggish before, it spooled slowly and was gutless unless it was under good boost. The highest EGT's i could see without a resistor in was about 650 (LONG uphill pull on freeway)

I tried the 10K and knocked 3 seconds off my 0-60 time! Next was the 5.6K, but it must be a bit too much, because it starts to fall off at the end of 3rd-5th. I've got an 8.6 in now and it still pulls all the way thru the gears. took another second off 0-60 time going from 10k to 8.6K. Now I can get EGTs up to about 850 after about 15-20 seconds of WOT uphill pull in 5th gear (about 22psi)

What do you guys think is making my truck run out of Ooommpph up top with the 5.6K? HPOP? Fuel pressure? Injectors?

Thanks for any advice, and I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

-HOSS-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off, welcome to the Org. Second, glad to hear that the resistor mod is helpin ya out.

I'm not sure exactly why your truck would fall off the power with the 5.6K resistor in. As for the HPOP, installing a SD 17* HPOP wouldn't hurt. Another little boost with power. (the HPOP is what provides the oil to inject the fuel through the injectors)

mike
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 AM

The smaller resistor demands more icp, oil than the pump can make so it falls on its face.
Mark
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

SuperDuty73, Ok. So since the lower resistor demands more oil pressure, would it work if the stock OBS HPOP was replaced with a 17* SD HPOP? Or would it need something more like an Adrenaline HPOP?

mike
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 AM

At least a 17 pump but it depends how much it will cost you. If you get it new you might as well buy an adrenaline pump, but used the 17 pumps are sometimes cheap.
The one good thing I like is the adrenaline is a great pump, improves power and MPG. I cant wait until I have the $$ to get one myself.
Mark
Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just installed a 10K potentiometer with a 1.5K resistor inline (so it can only go as low as 1.5K, not zero). Got it ran into the cab. Now I can crank it up, and watch the coal roll out the back, lol. Still can only get about halfway up the scale (8-7Kish) when it runs out of fuel on top end. (probably because of the HPOP as already mentioned) kinda handy tho, forget those $300 6pos chips, I'll take my $3 infinite position "chip" from radio shack, lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss.Hoss View Post
Just installed a 10K potentiometer with a 1.5K resistor inline (so it can only go as low as 1.5K, not zero). Got it ran into the cab. Now I can crank it up, and watch the coal roll out the back, lol. Still can only get about halfway up the scale (8-7Kish) when it runs out of fuel on top end. (probably because of the HPOP as already mentioned) kinda handy tho, forget those $300 6pos chips, I'll take my $3 infinite position "chip" from radio shack, lol.

if you think those little resistors wake your truck up,wait till you try a chip.i used to play the resistor mod games until i got a chip.i wont ever go back because its a night and day difference.a chipped obs will leave you in the rear view mirror.i suggest you invest in performance chip.what was your 0-60 time?

Last edited by 97powerstroker; 09-24-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroker View Post
if you think those little resistors wake your truck up,wait till you try a chip.i used to play the resistor mod games,until i got a chip.i wont ever go back,its night and day difference.a chipped obs will leave you in the rear view mirror.i suggest you invest in one.what was your 0-60 time?
Real slow. With my cellphone stopwatch sitting in my gauge cluster, watching the speedo road and stopwatch while shifting, i think I bested 11.5-12 seconds. Bested 15.9 stock.

Is that in the right ballpark?

P.S. I will get a chip, but do you think I should mess with the HPOP first? Can only afford one or the other for a little while.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 AM

no hpop work unless its not working properly.buy 3inch down pipe and slap that chip in there.i think you have gauges already so thats taken care of already.how do you take off with your truck/what gear?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroker View Post
no hpop work unless its not working properly.buy 3inch down pipe and slap that chip in there.i think you have gauges already so thats taken care of already.how do you take off with your truck/what gear?
I think I have an aftermarket downpipe. He said it was an MBRP 4" Turbo Back. This looks aftermarket, but don't look to be 4" maybe its an MBRP 3" downpipe?? Anybody know? Deffinately getting a chip once I get my finances a little more straightened out from buyin' this pig, lol.

I started out in first, with a quick clutch slip to spool the hair-dryer up a little, second seems like it takes way to long to build boost, so I think 1st works out to be quicker, even with the shift time.

Anyone have advice on launching one of these things better?
Attached Thumbnails
Another hi-five for the resistor mod!-downpipe.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.