Scanners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scanners

What's everybody using to scan/ read the codes on their OBS trucks? My truck (1995) has the OBD I connector, which leaves A LOT to be desired. My local Ford dealer wants $190 to read the/ any codes. (I told them I'd pass on that)

So what's everybody got?

mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Reading Codes

I use a VIN Locked Superchips tuner. Cant use it to tune the truck so at least it is good for something. By the way, the ODB II Code readers that are at Auto Zone and Advance will not work on 95 and earlier strokes. Even though they will plug and act as though they work.

Rick
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM

My truck is a 97 so it has the OBDII connector that works. I used a superchips tuner for a while, still have it stuffed behind the seat for those emergency situations, now I use AutoEnginuity on my laptop... dunno quite why yet, but it's there.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 AM

OBD Diagnostics, Inc. - OBD2 All-In-One Scan Tool w/ USB

ODB11

I have a co-worker that useses this for his mini van and he was giving this scanner a good review - I am not sure if it will work for my truck.

I just recently had to replace my oil temp sensor and I had to pay for the use of the shop's scanner. So, long story short a $27.00 sensor cost me $200. Now I am in the market for a scanner.

Along with cndrm I would like to know what is the best purchase? I don't want any more stranded on the side of the road, tow, and a $100 scan all for a $30 sensor.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 AM

I've done quite a bit of research on the OBD I and OBD II systems. My truck a '95 model, made (12/ 1994) has the OBD II plug, but the problem is, while many vehicles of these model years will have the OBD II "PLUG", they do not have the OBD II "PROGRAMING". This means you cannot use a standard OBD II scanner. You have to get a scanner that has the OBD II plug, but is designed to read OBD I programming.

mike
Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Premium Member

i had this same problem back in 2000 whe my cam posisiton snseor went bad, and before it was a known problem. I brought it to the dealaer because it would just die on the highway, they said they had to put a $1000 computer for a 97 in it so they could even diagnose it and turned out it was that stupid sensor. Truck did run and start better tho
Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndrm View Post
I've done quite a bit of research on the OBD I and OBD II systems. My truck a '95 model, made (12/ 1994) has the OBD II plug, but the problem is, while many vehicles of these model years will have the OBD II "PLUG", they do not have the OBD II "PROGRAMING". This means you cannot use a standard OBD II scanner. You have to get a scanner that has the OBD II plug, but is designed to read OBD I programming.

mike
I thought the trucks with this issue just needed to get their computer re-flashed to be able to use the OBDII as OBDII.

you can pickup a locked Super Chips tuner for your truck to use as a code reader/clear codes, however you will have to look up the code so it means something worthwhile, but still it may only narrow it down slightly. The main reason I got the AutoEnginuity is so I can read sensor data and do actual troubleshooting rather than parts replacing, also with AE you can run diagnostic tests. I understand that there is a Scan Gauge out there that does the same thing, just out of your gauge pod.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Big Bird, I've read that the 94 and 95 trucks can be reflashed to think they're 96's, but I'm kind of sceptical. Personally, I'd rather just get a scanner, or computer program that works with what I already have. (I'm very farmiliar with the issues that old electronics and old software can come up with)

So, maybe the AutoEnginuity is the way to go. I'll look into it. I have a laptop, so hooking up via USB port, is no big deal.

mike
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Mines a 95 with an OBD II plug and Ive hooked it up to the scanners at school with no problem and as far as I know it runs the OBD II but I guess I never really got to into it, I just used it to read codes not run tests.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 AM

Well, from what I've gathered, I have the OBD II style plug (16 pin), but the 94-95 years only ran OBD I programming. (so therevore, an OBD II wouldn't work) But to be honest, I've never plugged an OBD II scanner in to see if it would work.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.