Adding A Intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding A Intercooler

Picking up a 7.3 Intercooler and the air tubes that are made for a OBS this weekend. I've been looking at my core support and brainstorming how im going to go about doing this and i have a question.

There is a small cooler that sits on the outside of the core support (Closest to the grille) that i have no clue where this would go after i install my intercooler. Looks like it would be in the way though.. Anyone add a intercooler and have to move this?? If so where to? A good writeup would be good rite about now lol

1997 F350 4x4, SC, LB, E4OD, 7.3L Powerstroke. 3 inch DP, 5 inch exhaust to 5 inch mitre cut stacks, Bully Dog shift kit, 10K mod, FPR shim, Fumuto drain, 178,000 Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Look in the Tech sections. I think there is a write up for it...

1997 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 Auto w/ Trans Go Kit, Swamps Stage I, TS 6 Position w/ Swamps Custom Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, DIY Intake, 3"DP w/ 4"Exhaust... Intercooler ready to go in...

1997 F-350 CC SRW 5sp,Swamps Stage II, TS 6 Position, 4" Lift, 35" BFG's, AFE Stage II Intake
3"DP to 6" Stack
post #3 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3...r-install.html

MATT

Now featuring a 6.4 fat bottum 6 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 f250--238k and counting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RDS stage I's-TW live tuned-Dana 60 swap-9" lift/40x13.5x20 ProComps-ZF5 swap/short throw/South Bend CON OFE-Iron Bull front-AFE CAI-SD innercooler-Fab Tech traction bars-MBRP DP/6" black miters-Autometer boost/pyro

"If you dont have ambition and big dreams, you end up working hard for someone who does"
post #4 of 14 Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Sweet thanks guys.

Cant wait to do the install!

1997 F350 4x4, SC, LB, E4OD, 7.3L Powerstroke. 3 inch DP, 5 inch exhaust to 5 inch mitre cut stacks, Bully Dog shift kit, 10K mod, FPR shim, Fumuto drain, 178,000 Miles
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think your talking about the tranny cooler. I left mine in its spot and the IC fit infront of it just fine. My tranny cooler is quite abit bigger than stock also.

Nick, BPS Historian
1995 F-250 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke
Isspro Gauges, Tony Wildman Tunes, PSGH Stage 1 Injectors, Early 99 Intercooler, ATS Stage 6 E4OD, TCI Tranny Cooler, Snow Water/Meth, Traction Bars, EBPV Brake, TC Lockup Switch, Spray-on Liner, K&N Intake w/ NAPA 6637 Filter, 3" downpipe, 5" mitre stacks.
Waiting to be installed: Electric fuel with A1000 pump and Stealth DIY Dual HPOPs

post #6 of 14 Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
did you find a tubing kit for your truck or are you modifying off of a SD?

1997 CC SB. Stage 1s, 17*hpop, S&B CAI. 4" straight pipe, TW tunes, zf5 swap

post #7 of 14 Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I have a local diesel puller who had tubes from a SD custom fit to put in his OBS pulling truck before he destroked it.

Now that he just has the tubes and the intercooler itself... Do i need the spyder or whatever its called out of a 99-03 intercooled 7.3L? I bet its pretty tough to find one of those...

post #8 of 14 Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Shade tree mechanic

You need the spyder from an early 99 7.3. One for sale right now in the for sale section...
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/per...der-turbo.html

MATT

RDS stage I's-TW live tuned-Dana 60 swap-9" lift/40x13.5x20 ProComps-ZF5 swap/short throw/South Bend CON OFE-Iron Bull front-AFE CAI-SD innercooler-Fab Tech traction bars-MBRP DP/6" black miters-Autometer boost/pyro

"If you dont have ambition and big dreams, you end up working hard for someone who does"
post #9 of 14 Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Check EBAY...for the spyder....If your headlights are dingy looking, go ahead and change them out...its all got to come apart....If your using the stock trans cooler....change it out for a bigger one also. Heat kills trannies....the stocker is just not up to par. I swapped a 6.0 trans cooler into mine when I did the intercooler...

Chuck
post #10 of 14 Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK View Post
Check EBAY...for the spyder....If your headlights are dingy looking, go ahead and change them out...its all got to come apart....If your using the stock trans cooler....change it out for a bigger one also. Heat kills trannies....the stocker is just not up to par. I swapped a 6.0 trans cooler into mine when I did the intercooler...
Yes. Good point Chuck. Now is the time to do all of the above mentioned things while it is all apart.

MATT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode