Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help 94.5 OBS with SD Turbo and Intercooler

6K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Octoberskys89 
#1 ·
So I have a 1994.5 7.3 PowerStroke, the turbo was directed straight into the motor, My buddy was taking his turbo, intercooler and everything off he's 2000, to go bigger. so i bought it all of him. i finally had the time to install it all. I took everything in the Vally out, rebuilt the 1.00 Ar turbo. before putting it all back together, since I had everything out of the way, I replaced the HPOP, with a MB Diesel 17* HPOP, and CNC fabrication HPO lines W/ HDX Cross over. Replaced the 2" stock Plenums with the 2000 3" plenums, reinstalled the lift pump in fuel bowl, bolted up the new turbo Pedestal had to mock up the new Exhaust up pipes and Y Connector, got it lined up to the new turbo. had to clamp closed the top Blow off valve(no room for it under the Firewall). was able to adapt the waste gate to my 3" straight down pipe. Had to rotate the fuel bowl a little to allow enough room for the spider(it still a very tight fit, Even after plugging and grinding the 3 front holes Flat). Mounted the new intercooler, ran the pipes,(had to flip the riverside to make it able to fit around the power steering lines.

Final was able to start her up again, she sounded fine, when to go take her for a test drive and NO POWER, can only get to about 55Mph, 4 gear is all she wants, turbo is spinning freely but not hearing it boost at all. Will only run at about 2,500 Rpm. Please help. Im still running OBD 1 and the ford dealership won't even help me. At full throttle it blow white smoke, no power on the road. Don't know what could be wrong, No check engine light. My EOT(engine oil temp just behind the ) sensor has been broken as long as I've had the truck.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've checked for exhaust leaks, from the manifold to the Up pipes(nothing I could see). I have not checked the Y into the Exhaust side of the turbo yet, But its on the list. and don't see any smoke from anywhere see. I bought RiffRaff boots & Clamps for the plenums,Spyder, Intercooler and Pipes. Cant hear any leaks… please let me know if I'm missing anywhere I should be checking?

#4 ·
I just did this swap on my 94.5 with the same parts as you minus the hpx lines. All my parts came off a 2000 as well. I used a non waste gated 1.0 housing. My first thought off you have no leaks is that your waste gate is not allowing the turbo to build boost. I'm assuming the blow off valve you mentioned is actually the waste gate and adapted waste gate to downpipe is the ebpv. Make sure ebpv is open I used a deleted outlet with no ebpv. Could post some pictures of your setup?

#7 ·
I hooked mine to the existing map sensor port on the spider. The spider originally had to nipples on it 1 for the waste gate and one for the map sensor. Go check out the thread in this section called my performance setup. In that thread I have a number of pictures of how I did mine. If you need more pictures I could text you some if you pm me your number. My pics never come out as clear on the forum as they are on my phone.

#8 ·
Another thing I ran into was the 2000 plenums had two extra bolt holes than the 94.5 cylinder heads had room for that would be open causing boost leak and direct unfiltered air into engine. How did you address that issue?

#10 ·
When it makes boost I think might blow the sealant out. On mine there was nothing to support to sealant on one side of holes.

#12 ·
When does it start to spool? Things that will improve that would be a smaller exhaust housing and a billet wheel. You used the stock exhaust housing that came on the 2000 turbo correct?

#13 ·
i had the same problem as you i have a ts 6 chip and on the stock setting the truck runs like crap wont spool and smokes like crazy. on tow it runs fine no smoke makes about 22 lbs of boost post intercooler i did add a 1.0 and WW2 made the truck much more drive able

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.