Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Up pipe donuts

6K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Garbage_Mechanic 
#1 ·
Heard you could use a set of donut gaskets for a chevy 350 exhaust donut...their the same diamiter, and just a bit thicker.....:dunno:

#2 ·
Did a search and found the part number, seems to be a 50/50 chance. I am needing to do mine also. Think I am going to do the bellowed pipes and hopefully never have to do them again. Anyone have a link to a write-up or tips on how to do this. Sorry, not trying to hi-jack your thread just need to do the same thing and could not find any tips or how-to's.

#10 ·
#6 ·
This is bandaid type fix. I've heard a lot of guys using the chev donuts and some work and some don't. If you want a proper fix either go to the bellows and get rid of them all together or just get the correct donuts being they are made of the correct material and WILL work and get new up pipes, because your old ones are garbage as they will be all galled and messed up where the old donuts rubbed on them and will not reseal properly, use lots of antisize to put it all back together and be done with it.

If you add lots of antiseize to it that will give it the added lubricity needed to not mess up the pipes again and to last for a very long time.

#13 ·
If you don't plan on keeping it long just let them leak and sell it that way. The cheap fix with the chev donuts has been known to last only a very short time. As in a couple weeks or less. Then there are some that seem to last awhile. The stock ones are installed dry and they gall the pipes. That's the big problem is the pipes not the donuts. Once the pipes are all galled they NEED to be replaced as well. New pipes and new donuts installed with antisieze will last over 100K easy and don't cost anywhere near what the bellowed pipes cost.

#14 ·
my i have to do the band aid fix as i have to order the up pipes and get a new turbo. so i plane on putting the write thing in one time. Oh ya i did my right side donut with a ford one used lube and no luck leaking from same side. and for the belowed pipes do the make them for the obs? Band aid will work for some one that needs to upgrade in near future, like me. But ya chevy donuts pry will not last long. but for the stock up pipes you are looking at 200 or so from ford for everything.

#15 ·
Most likely the reason the new donut didn't work is because like I said the problem is the galled pipe. A new donut isn't going to seal against a pipe that's all messed up.

#16 ·
I know the differance between doing something right and doing something wrong. What works for one might not work for others. To me fiancially at this point it wouldn't have not made since to spend $200 on the factory stuff knowing that it is going to happen again sooner or later plus that is half of the bellows kit. So if I spend the $200 for now and then later had to spend the $400 I would have $600 in it. I would rather put $6.00 in it now and when I get the $400 buy the bellows and put it in then so I have $406 in it. My time is worth something but so is $400 right now. Everybody is different on how they do things I feel that for my situation I made a good decision backed buy alot of guys on here that have made the same decsion and had good results from it. When or if they go out I will keep you in mind and say you told me so I have no problem with that but for now for the price of skipping one combo at mcdonalds I didn't need anyway. I fixed a problem.

#17 ·
The $200 fix will last indefinitely if done properly. That's just the key is doing it right! I think I'd save the $6 and all the hassle and enjoy that combo at McDonalds, if that's actually possible, and just fix it when you have the cash for the $400 option. But that's just me. I HATE doing those donuts!

#18 ·
Already spent the $6 so I have to stick with my plan now. I would love to just go an buy everything I wanted to get but I only spend money if I have it I don't put anything on credit card nor do I borrow money on anything.(Only my house (6yrs or less left on it) I'm Working on the $400 for the bellows kit but that will be after my chip. O'l well to each his own I'm off to McDonalds opps dang I forgot I spent my $6 I can't. Maybe I get the combo after I get the bellows kit I needed to lose weight anyway. Thanks for the concern

#19 ·
6 bucks is not too bad for a deal that will last a little wile and i dont take too long to do them. I am going to fix it write one time and that is when i get a new turbo dont know wich one yet. so the quick fix is going to have to hold. and i would just hold off for a few months but when i pulled the turbo to insected it and replaced the orings for the major oil leak the mouting plate would move all over the dam place. so i need to do somthing about it befor winter and i use the heater all of the time. I am so dang sure they will hold alot better then what i got now!

#20 ·
Oh ya today i was looking around my shop today and found some new donuts so $0.00 for me to have a band aid:woot:
And im not saying to do this as a lont term thing just as a quick fix should hold for a little bit. Worth the extra little bit to get the 12 buck donuts for ford. but if dont need them to last a long time then a quick fix will do.

#22 ·
Google 1843486c92. International part number for the bellowed up pipes for the OBS. They are really expensive from IH.

#26 ·
The ones for my 2001 are: F4TZ-6K854-C

#24 ·
I agree with GTS on the pipes being galled, pitted or worn from the pipe sliding in and out of the donut due to expansion and contraction from the hot / cold cycle of the engine. But it isn't ALWAYS the case, just most common. I just did donuts on a new (to me) 160,000 mile 95 PSD and the pipes were fine but one of the bolts was gone.

If a guy is tight on funds but a good welder you can still do a 100% job like GTS describes, but there is a little extra work. Since the OD of the up pipe where the donut rides is critical, and I didn't have a new pipe, I have cut the up pipe, turned the cut off part end for end and welded it back on. This gives a good donut surface for free. Just gotta weld it straight.................

#27 ·
So you cut both sides ,and made a new flange area?

On the up pipes, the area sealed by the donuts is just a straight tube, no flange. So I just cut off about 4" of the straight part and turn it end for end so the unworn part is now on the end and the worn part next to the weld about 4" up the the pipe. The only reason not to just weld on a stub of new pipe is that it is not a common size.

What is probably confusing you is that the up pipes are sealed by the donut like copper tubing sealed by a compression ferrule. It doesn't have the tapered flange like a SB Chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.