Power window help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power window help

I've got a 96 crew cab, and the driver rear window will go down erratically, but not go back up. I can hear the motor working on both the up and down directions, and when trying to roll the window up, the motor spins fast, as though it has no resistance on it. Now i've read somewhere that some pins? or dowels can come apart or the motor comes loose from the regulator. Is there a fix for these motors or would I need to buy a new motor.

Also, does someone have a good pic of where you need to drill to access the bolts holding the motor and regulator in without having to remove the rivets?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can usually replace the plastic "dogs" in the motor drive (they break up into pieces). They are available for aboutb $8 in the HELP! section at your local auto parts place. The motor can be removed without taking out the regulator and glass by strategically drilling holes to access the bolts that hold the motor on (it's not that difficult to figure out where to drill). Cheers!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just had to replace my motor I don't know if it was plastic junk broke or not. I had to drill out the 2 bolt holes. When you see it you will know. The the other 1 I snipped it where I could get to it. It was a pain to learn but I could do it fast if I had to again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 AM

well as you see here, I have access to two of the three bolts. When I remove these two, the motor is still hanging by something. It swings free inside the door, but because I can't see inside, I have no idea what is holding it back. So there are 3 bolts? Can you point out a general area where it is? Once all three bolts are out, will the motor come out or is there something else that needs to be unhooked or unclipped? I know once I get the motor out I'll understand, but just staring at the door trying to figure out what to do is a waste of time.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On mine there was 3 bolts. Mine was a little different. I have a 96 don't know if that matters. But the one rivet that is about 5 o clock is about where I would guess it would be. But I don't really know as mine I could see them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM

mines a 96

this is the driver rear door

I can see two bolts....I've been told there is a third, but it doesn't feel like it. When I remove the two exposed bolts, the motor swings free and feels as though something is attached to it....an electrical connection? I would guess so. How does the motor attach to the mechanism that slides the window up and down? Its impossible to see what is going on. I will continue to investigate and take a little more of the door off each time.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine was the front. But try to push the motor out... From the gears.... Idk just trying to help here....
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm guessing it should be around the tab near that connector (there should be 3). I use a flashlight and "dentist's mirror" to help see. Cheers!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine had 3 and the electric plug and move it straight out and fish it out the door. Same as the old explorer I had. Had to put new plastic things in the drivers door on both. There isn't a whole lot to the repair. Drilling and cleaning out the plastic is probably the hardest parts.

Just went to look at mine since the panel is off. I drilled 2 decent sized holes to get to mine. It should be (in you pic) between the electrical connector and the rivet under it and a little to the right. May have to stick your arm in an access in the door and feel around. It's not a perfect triangle pattern looks like you found the closer of the three.

Last edited by Blazin8556; 05-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the help...I got the motor out....drilled a new hole on the right...

The motor works, I could hear it working inside the door with the switch, but the window wouldn't move

What do I need to tackle here?

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.