CB radio mounting location - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CB radio mounting location

I have a Cobra 29 CB with dual mirror mounted 48" fiberglass whips and have the cb mounted in my '96 5 speed to the right of the shifter. Just curious where other 5 speed owners have mounted theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Radio Mounting

Got mine mounted to the ceiling directly above the mirror.Antenna is mounted to the headache rack. Works fine and the mike is always within easy reach(magnetic mount on the back of the mike)
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Ditto here, my 76 is up on the celing with twin whips (only wired to one) mounted on the mirro
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

How did you mount it to the ceiling?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKSTAX View Post
How did you mount it to the ceiling?
I had mine mounted above the mirror on my 97. My 02 has a sunroof, so it had to go elsewhere. But anyway, the 97 has a double liner up there, just use short(1/2"-3/4") self-tapping screwsto mount your bracket and you'll be fine. If it makes you feel better, take the cardboard headliner out and have a look.

I'm curious about you guys with the two antennas, How are your SWR's? With two of them hooked up, they can't be that good(unless they are 9 feet apart). Even with only one hooked up, it still will reflect off of the other one, Are your SWR's below 2? I'm really just curious, because i've heard a lot of stories about dual whips.

Sorry to hijack this thread
Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Kornfed has dual tennaes' and they are both wired, but not sure about his SWR's and how unit works?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
My Uniden is mounted above the rear-view mirror on the headliner. I just poked some holes in the liner and put some heavy card stock on the other side to make sure the bolts and nuts don't rip through. It's held for about a year with around 40 boosted 4wd launches. Mic is easy to reach as well. (Have it mounted in the clip mount that came with the radio, mounted on the radio...mic cord run around the mirror to keep it out of the way.) Ran the cables down the A piller , down the lower door step cover, under the seat and through the rear vents up to the bed and mounted the antenna (4ft from Radio Shack) in the center of my headache rack...top tube. It works pretty good. I have some signal loss due to the antenna wire being a little long as well as the ground on the antenna not being very good, but I can receive about 5 miles with the truck off. I dunno how good my transmit is.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

I just run 1 of my antennas, your right though SWR's will never be right with "true" duals
Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Navy Beer Guzzler

I have a magnet mount Wilson 5000 antenna in the center of the cab. I have 1.3 to 1 SWR. Have to have low SWR to run amp. Im skippin to Rhode Island with it and on a good day I cant talk to the Bahamas.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to powershooter
heres mine

i built a custom stainless steel mount that goes under the seat using the factory seat bolts . i did not want to drill holes anywhere in my truck . my antenna is a wilson 1000 fiberglass 5' and attached to the side of my tool box on a custom aluminum mount . i made it so i can pull the front pin and fold it down so i can drive in buildings and such . sorry the pics are dark , i took them tonight .
Attached Thumbnails
CB radio mounting location-0715071114.jpg   CB radio mounting location-0715071114a.jpg   CB radio mounting location-1106071849.jpg   CB radio mounting location-1106071850a.jpg   CB radio mounting location-1106071858.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.