Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

96 interior handles?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  nra1ifer 
#1 ·
I just bought a 96 crew cab 4x4 and my wife has trouble getting into it as there are no grab handles. My dodge had two interior handles, one on the A pillar and one over head. Is there an option for these or an aftermarket handle that someone knows about. What are your guys solutions?

#2 ·
If you look farther back in the interior section there is a build thread on adding handles, author is 97beast, I installed them in mine as well and they work greatly for my wife lol

#5 ·
Ihave a bunch of grey ones out of ford contour. real basic. mounted them to my roof just above the trim in the headliner. I figured I could recover the headliner much easier than finding a new intact a pillar trim. plus contours/ mystiques are PLENTIFUL in the yards around here.

#6 ·
I bought 4 handles out of a SD off craigslist for $30. going to find a way to install them in my truck as soon as I get the time...its tough between work and everything.

#7 · (Edited)
Common upgrade. Find the handle you like from the junkyard ( I got 4 from a two 2000 Explorers a they only have 3) and pull the dry cleaning hooks from both. Go to NAPA and get enough Well Nuts, link to an example below. I also bought allen screws as the holes in the handles didn't seem to have room for a socket. Plan ahead, I put blue painter's tape on my headboard for location marks. There is a surprising amount of room behind the door frame for you to drill and not punch through the roof...but do be careful!

Remove the trim around the top of the doors and determine the location of your holes. Take your time and install/remove the trim as often as you need to fell sure about the location of the hole in your trim. Push the Well Nuts in place. I stacked a few flat washers between the trim and the Well Nut to keep everything where it should be.

My four door cab had slots over the rear windows that the salvaged dry cleaning hangers fit near perfectly! Either drill a hole in the trim for the locating tab (it will make sense when you are holding one in your hand) of slice it off. This location (especially the rear window on the driver's side) is a far superior location than covering the rear window.

By the way, those seemingly flimsy rubber Well Nuts have held up to our everyday use!

NAPA AUTO PARTS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.