CB Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CB Problem

I hace a CB mounted in my 6.4 and obs and both stopped working. They both turn on but i don't hear anything. I have moved all the dials switches and nothing. I have the CB where you can get the weather on it i can hear the weather fine but i can't hear any static from the cb and or people talking. I even had my friend try to see if he can get it to work and he had no idea. Let me know what you think i should do..
They are both less than a year old.
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Google cb shops in your area. They are usually near truck stops. You may have fried the cb due to the antenna is not matched to the radio. You want to have as close to zero to zero match from 1-40 on the channels. Usually cb shops will match the radio 1:1 on channel 1 and 40. After that they will work for ever.

What brand cb and antenna are you running.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Both CB's are Cobra 29 BT with weather and night watch. Im using a magnetic mount antenna for both trucks. I picked the Antennas up at the local TA truck stop.

Tom
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM
duct tape & zip ties

what brand antenna are they. If they are some cheap antenna and weren't matched to the radio. If you used your radio a lot most likely you fried the board.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

They where some 30.00 magnetic antenna from a truck stop. No idea on the brand. How will i know what CB antenna will work for that radio?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Where did you mount the cb in the 08?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Right in front of the center console where the cup holders are. I really didn't want to drill the console but i made 2 small holes but it looks awesome.

Tom
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
They where some 30.00 magnetic antenna from a truck stop. No idea on the brand. How will i know what CB antenna will work for that radio?
Technically any cb antenna willl work with any cb radio. But if they are not tuned properly then you can cause damage to the radio.

There is more to a cb radio set up then just hooking up the radio and attaching the antenna to it.

It needs to be ( matched or Tuned ) which is what I talked about earlier.

Usually they use an external SWR Meter. It is hooked between the radio and the antenna. Then you make adjustments to the antenna til you achieved the 1:1 match between channel 1 and channel 40. Sometimes the coax is shortened or extended or just a simple adjustment of the antenna up or down in the mount.

Really if you have not done this before then you should have an experinced person do it.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Technically any cb antenna willl work with any cb radio. But if they are not tuned properly then you can cause damage to the radio.

There is more to a cb radio set up then just hooking up the radio and attaching the antenna to it.

It needs to be ( matched or Tuned ) which is what I talked about earlier.

Usually they use an external SWR Meter. It is hooked between the radio and the antenna. Then you make adjustments to the antenna til you achieved the 1:1 match between channel 1 and channel 40. Sometimes the coax is shortened or extended or just a simple adjustment of the antenna up or down in the mount.

Really if you have not done this before then you should have an experinced person do it.
Yes i should have had an experienced tech tune it for me. But i did not. Can the radio even be salvaged if it is "fried"?

Tom
Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
Yes i should have had an experienced tech tune it for me. But i did not. Can the radio even be salvaged if it is "fried"?

Tom
Lucky for you the Cobra 29 has been around for years. There a lot of mods you can do to it. unless they have changed the boards in them that I am not aware of.

I would do as I recommended in my first post. Google CB Shops in your area. I know there has to be at least one around. Truckers still use CB radios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.